Pat’s find a vital win in play-off push

Amateur RL
Amateur RL

ST Patrick’s returned to form with a resounding 32-12 victory at Hull Dockers in the National Conference League Premier Division.

In the eighth minute, Simon Atherton burst through from a pass by Jonny Brown and found Anthony Atherton on hand to finish off. Brad Smith converted.

Four minutes later another Simon Atherton break led to a try by Liam Gannon, goaled again by Smith.

For St Pat’s third score of the afternoon, Anthony Griffiths broke through and Anthony Atherton provided the link with scorer Brad Hargreaves.

Hull Dockers struck back on 28 minutes when full back Danny Patrick touched down a kick which had been misfielded.

Chris Stephenson converted.

With a couple of minutes of the half to go the visitors opted to take a long-range penalty kick.

Smith succeeded in giving his side a further boost by ensuring his side had hit the 20-point mark.

The first score of the second half would define the remainder of the game, and it went to St. Pat’s in the 50th minute.

A long run by Kieran Harrison set up position and Liam Gannon scored from a ball by Ryan Baxter.

Joe Prior took over the goal kicking to land the conversion.

Nevertheless, Dockers were a much tougher proposition in the second half, and a lot of last-ditch tackling was required.

Their efforts were rewarded two minutes from the end when prop Gareth Moore crashed over and Stephenson converted.

That wasn’t the end of matters, as the home side failed to field the kick-off and Brad Hargreaves pounced to get the touch-down Smith’s conversion rounded off the scoring.

St Pat’s visit Rose Bridge in a local derby on Saturday, kick-off 2.30pm.

ST Jude’s travelled over to East Leeds and were put to the sword 54-14 by a team wanting to show why they are favourites to win the league.

Jude’s were well beaten in every department and from as early as the third minute were under the cosh.

The big pack of East Leeds were just too much to handle for the visitors six and it seemed that every time they got in the Jude’s 20 they scored.

It was a procession and the half time score of 24-0 could have been a lot worse for the maroon and golds.

Weak defence and bad handling meant that the Easts line never got tested and the home side were scoring at will.

When the score racked up to 48-0 the league leaders seemed to take their foot off the pedal and Jude’s ran in a couple of tries.

The first was when on a rare visit into the East’s 20, good hands from a scrum got Danny Holmes over in the corner. The kick sailed wide.

Then Dave Carney picked up a stray pass and sprinted 70 metres to score. Gareth Thomas converted.

The home side finished their scoring with a goaled try to rack up 50 points and right on the death, man of the match for Jude’s, Dean Hunt, got Stephen King away and he managed to get a pass out to wingman Danny Holmes who squeezed in at the corner to round off the scoring.

St Jude’s now sit in second place in the National Conference Division One, two points behind East Leeds but still four above third-placed Hunslet Warriors.

In Division Three Underbank rangers defeated Wigan St Cuthberts 74-12.

Both St Cuthbert’s tries were scored by Ashall and converted by Cotterill.