Pat’s sign-off from a tough season with emotional win

St Pat's finished an up and down campaign with a win against Egremont
St Pat's finished an up and down campaign with a win against Egremont

WIGAN St Pat’s turned on an adventurous display to end the season in ninth position and complete the double over Egremont.

With no shortage of good players, St Pat’s have hardly done themselves justice during the season.

Even so, they have competed well with the best, having recorded wins against eight of the other 12 teams and held two others to a two-point margin.

Before kick-off, there was a touching minute’s silence in memory of Charlie Atherton, Mick Daniels and Agnes Charnock who all passed away in recent weeks.

Egremont opened both halves strongly and were first on the scoreboard with a try by Stephen Fox, who evaded three tackles to score in the eighth minute.

St Pat’s responded 10 minutes later when Phil Glover stormed in from a pass by Ryan Smith.

Brad Smith’s conversion put St Pat’s in the lead.

Only three minutes later, Tom Woodcock made a long run and Simon Atherton drew in the defenders to slip out a pass to scorer Ryan Smith.

With four minutes of the half left Anthony Griffiths went solo from acting half back to make it 16-4 at the break.

Egremont caught the home side napping with two tries within five minutes of the resumption.

Scrum-half Matthew Henson crossed and then centre Jack Stainton dummied his way over by the posts.

John-Paul Brocklebank’s two conversions levelled the scores.

St Pat’s finally established their superiority with three quarters of the game gone.

Marlon Alker switched the ball smartly to find Liam Gannon.

A couple of minutes later Tom Woodcock made a break and fed Ryan Smith, who raced the last 40 yards to the line.

Smith’s kick took the score to 28-16. Just ahead of the final whistle Ryan Smith completed his hat-trick off a Simon Atherton break, and Marlon Alker took over the goalkicking to complete the scoring. Elsewhere in the Premier Division, Leigh Miners Rangers finished the season in sixth place. Had their campaign ended with a victory over champions West Hull rather than a 28-10 defeat, they would have leap-frogged Lock Lane and Thatto Heath into third.