Pat’s turn up the heat on top three with huge Hull win

editorial image

ST Patrick’s put on another devastating performance to register a 43-6 win against Hull Dockers in the National Conference League Premier Division.

Apart from some aggression at the start of each half and a late try, Dockers were seldom in the hunt.

In fact, the game was less than a minute old when Jayden Sandford linked up to cross for a try from a planned move, Brad Smith converting.

St Pat’s made further progress on 15 minutes when Stephen Simm made a curving run into the middle.

Although the offload went to ground, Tom Atherton recovered to touch down. Smith added the goal.

Simm again did the damage ten minutes later when he shot through a gap and launched Sandford over for his second try. Smith’s kick made it 18-0.

On the half hour, a switch of direction and an excellent ball from Tony Suffolk sent Jonny Brown in.

Smithy’s conversion and an unexpected drop goal on 40 minutes by Anthony Griffiths made it 25-0 at the break.

St Pat’s very soon added to their tally with a short-range score by Kieran Harrison.

Bradley Smith converted, and six minutes later scored a try of his own with a curving, dummying solo run, which he also converted.

On the hour, Tony Suffolk burst on to a short pass to conclude the home-team’s try-scoring.

Bradley Smith’s kicking gave him a 100 percent success rate for the match.

Things went quiet, and the only further score with ten minutes to go came from a sweeping move up the right flank in which Dockers’ right centre and scorer James Beaumont played the major part. Andy Kay converted.

St Pat’s are at Myton Warriors of Hull on Saturday, with a 2.30pm kick off.

Myton sit two places above the bottom of the NCL Premier Division and suffered a 32-10 defeat to East Hull last weekend.

Myton fell into the relegation zone with the defeat to the mid-table Hull side and they could slip further down the ladder if Ince Rose Bridge can find a win against Siddal on Saturday.

St Pat’s will be looking to another Hull team to do them a favour in their bid to climb the division on Saturday.

Wath Brow Hornets travel to East Hull and defeat for the Hornets would see St Pat’s leapfrog them in the table if they can beat the Warriors.

Second-placed Thatto Heath Crusaders and third-placed Lock Lane clash meaning whatever the result, St Pat’s will climb at least another place in the table with a win at the weekend.

The Crusaders enjoyed a 60-24 win over Siddal and will be eyeing the summit of the table along with St Pat’s.

INCE Rose Bridge suffered a derby loss at the hands of Leigh Miners Rangers thanks largely to a hat-trick from captain Scott O’Brien.

In a scrappy game marred by a string of injury stoppages Miners had the clinical cutting edge in attack to see off their spirited opponents by a 
convincing score of 32-12.

Miners though can begin looking upwards and with O’Brien in sensational form and Liam Coleman and Jimmy Muir offering excellent support they deserved the 

Leigh Miners opened the scoring when Adam Thomason kicked into the in-goal and O’Brien was on hand to ground the ball after ten minutes.

Midway through the half the Miners’ captain turned provider, chipping the kick for Jonny Youds to catch then touch down besides the posts, adding the conversion himself.

Bridge needed an early response in the second half and they had it when Michael Houghton crashed over for a try improved by Chris Boylan.

But the game was wrapped up as O’Brien burst through the tackles and scored beside the posts for his hat-trick.

Leigh could pull two points clear of Hull Dockers when they meet on Saturday, while Ince host Siddal.

IN the National Conference Division Three clash between Wigan St Cuthbert’s and Featherstone Lions, both teams were desperate to win the fixture after a disappointing run of defeats.

In the event, visitors Featherstone Lions came away victors 34-27 in a closely fought game with the result in doubt until the final minute.

In what turned out to be a bad tempered first half, with both sides reduced to 11 men after having two players each dismissed for foul play, Cuthbert’s opened the scoring with a try in the 10th minute from wingman Barry Gregson.

Featherstone quickly hit back but after the sides traded tries Cutherbert’s led narrowly at half-time. At the start of the second half, St Cuthbert’s quickly added two further tries in the 42nd and 47th minutes from substitute Jacob Clarke to widen the gap.

But after Glassell forced his way over for a converted try in the 50th minute, Featherstone found themselves back in the game.

A drop goal from Sheridan appeared to give St Cuthbert’s the comfort of a seven point lead but it was the visitors who finished the stronger. St Cuthbert’s face Heworth this Saturday, who are one place above them in the league table.

WIGAN St Jude’s had no game last weekend. They travel to Waterhead this Saturday.