Resilient Robins fight back to win

editorial image

WIGAN Robin Park came from two goals behind to beat Norton United 3-2 in their final home game of the season on Saturday.

Both sides struggled to keep and pass the ball in the first half with the only real action of any note coming two minutes before the break with the visitors’ goal.

The Robins started the second half a lot more brightly but a lapse of concentration by the Wigan defence allowed Darren Chadwick to double the visitors’ lead.

Thankfully the Robins didn’t let their heads drop and on 67 minutes they halved the deficit.

A deep cross from James Edgar found Joe Hull in space and his glancing header beat the Norton keeper.

Ten minutes later it was all-square as the Norton defence opened up for Hull to score his second of the game.

It was now all Robins and on 83 minutes Callaway got the winner.

Good build-up play saw Adam Howard and Edgar combine well on the left before Howard crossed to the unmarked Callaway who tapped it in to an open net to seal the points for the Robins.


It was Whitehead Cup day and Digmoor won their derby semi-final against Newburgh Harrock United 3-1.

They will meet Bickerstaffe who beat Hindley Town 1-0 with a solitary goal from Dave Hart. The Final is at Ashton Athletic on Wednesday May 8.

The action in the Garswood Trophies Premier Division gave Shevington a narrow 2-1 victory over Leigh Rangers.

Ince Central crashed 3-0 at home to Standish St Wilfs. In Crystal Division One Bel Air lost 3-1 to Winstanley Res.

Aspull continue their chase with a 1-0 home win over Wigan Rovers. Leigh Legion beat St Jude’s by the same score. Brad Gambles bagged Ince’s winner at Ormskirk. Standish St Wilfs Res who drew 0-0 with Foundry.

In North West Gas and Solar Heating Division Two Punchbowl slammed Foundry Res 5-1 with Shaun Heaton grabbing two. AH Leisure had a 2-0 victory at Wigan Rovers Res.

Digmoor Res won 2-0 at Lowton Rams. Up Holland moved into contention for promotion with a 8-5 win over Hindley Town Res Lewis Coyle getting four.

In Northgate Vehicle Hire Division Three Champions Ashton Villa beat Winstanley Warriors 5-2. Farnworth Town and Hurlston Hall drew 3-3.



IN the South Lancs Counties Premier Division, Highfield Grange top the table on goal difference from Penlake after a 5-1 win against Goose Green.

James Harrison (2), Joe Fielding, Joe Hull and Alex Turner were the marksmen. Richie Livingston replied for Goose Green who drop to fourth from second spot.

Elsewhere, Horwich St Mary’s won 4-2 at Wigan Cosmos.

Leigh Genesis top Division One by two points after beating Ashton Villa 6-0.

Marus Bridge went down 2-1 at second-placed Digmoor, who had a 1-0 midweek win against Up Holland.

At the weekend, Up Holland visited St Cuthbert’s and won 9-1 with Steve Oakley scoring four goals and Adam Niklas a hat-trick.

Horwich St Mary’s were 3-1 winners against Up Holland Rangers with Ollie Leighton scoring all three goals for the Saints, while Whitley ran out 4-1 winners against Academy Sports,

Garswood United are the champions of Division Two after coming from behind at the interval to win 3-1 against Ince United.

Aspull and Standish Park Rangers drew 2-2 after Aspull went 2-0 ahead.

Olympic Athletic were too strong for Up Holland Res and won 5-1, while Halsall Res won 2-1 against Chequer Lane.

Adam Morris FC are Division Three champions after a 4-1 win at Wargrave Rovers.

St Helens Rovers, who still had a chance of the championship went down 2-0 against St Cuthbert’s Reserves.

In the Under-18s division, Eccleston & Heskin and Billinge shared the points in a 2-2 draw.

Jack Jeffries put Eccleston & Heskin ahead but goals by Matty O’Neil and Archie McLuskey gave Billinge the lead. However, a last-minute penalty by Charlie Dickenson gave Eccleston & Heskin a share of the points.

Ashton Town ran out 2-1 winners against Standish Panthers in the Under-17s.

Ryan O’Neill and an own goal accounted for Ashton Town’s goals with Cameron Foster on target for Panthers.

In the Wilf Hickson semi-finals, Highfield Grange played hosts to Redgate Rovers and won 3-1.

Matt Dawbarn gave Redgate a 1-0 interval lead with a rocket-like strike from 20 yards. Within 15 minutes of the re-start, Josh Hayes, Ben Conway with a brace gave Highfield the win at 3-1.

Southport will play Highfield Grange in the final at Ashton Athletic’s ground on Thursday, May 9 after beating Horwich St Mary’s 4-0.

Goose Green won on a penalty shoot out against Garswood United after the scores were 1-1 after 90 minutes in a thrilling contest.

Goose Green led but a late Garswood strike took the game into the shoot-out.

St Cuthbert’s made it to the final after another penalty shoot-out against Ashton Villa.

The final will be held at Ashton Athletic’s Brocstedes Park ground on May 14.