Robins put pressure on leaders

Robin Park's Michael Wood is held by Holker's Bradley Hubbold
Robin Park's Michael Wood is held by Holker's Bradley Hubbold
Share this article

WIGAN Robin Park continued to put the pressure on leaders Abbey Hey after crushing Holker Old Boys 4-0 at the Arena on Saturday.

The win keeps the Robins in second place in the North West Counties Division One table, one point behind Abbey but with three games in hand.

Their task of picking up three points was more or less completed after half an hour when they were two-up with the visitors down to nine men.

The Robins were a little slow out of the blocks though, and it was Holker that first tested the goal when Craig Rutherford brought a superb save out of Jay Foulds.

After that, however, it was all Wigan and they were ahead on 12 minutes when centre-half Mike Wood volleyed home from 25 yards.

Five minutes later the visitors were down to ten men when Gareth Smith saw red for a two-footed lunge on Steve Edwards by the touchline.

Two minutes later the Robins doubled their lead when Dean Callaway pulled the ball back from the byline for Edwards to tap home.

On the half-hour mark Holker were down to nine men when Kevin Watkin dived in on Ben Kay for an even worse tackle than the earlier misdemeanour, leaving referee Mr Frazer no option other than to reach for his pocket to produce another red. This was to kill the game as a spectacle as Holker looked to get everybody behind the ball while Wigan kept possession and looked for openings.

It wasn’t until just after the hour mark when Callaway broke through the defence to lob keeper Ross Liddicott from 20 yards to make it three.

The Robins had further chances as they controlled the game. Edwards went close with a header and then should have done better when one-on-one with the keeper who did well to save.

However, from the save Callaway gathered the ball and again pulled it back for Edwards to complete his brace with a neat finish.

All-in-all it was an accomplished performance from the Robins who kept their discipline well as the referee brandished five yellow cards and two reds – all to the visitors, while the home side picked up no cautions.

Tonight (Tuesday) Park face a tough trip to Formby.

Assistant manager Jay Foulds said: “Formby are the best footballing side we’ve played this season and it will be a big test for us.”

On Saturday the Robins are on the road again as they visit form team Eccleshall.