Robins still top

Share this article

WIGAN Robin Park travel to Oldham tomorrow (Saturday) in igh sprits following last week’s dramatic late equaliser with Eccleshall.

They had Shaun Judge to thank as his 87th minute screamer gave the Robins a 2-2 draw.

The point kept them top of the league, three points ahead of Abbey Hey with a game in hand.

The Robins, who were well below their best, had to come from behind twice as they drew with the in-form Staffordshire side.

Pershall Park, nestled in the countryside, is one of the most picturesque grounds in non-league football and the Robins’ players’ first-half performance reflected the quiet surroundings.

It was no surprise when they went behind after eight minutes as they left Mark Hall unmarked at a corner and he headed home.

On 35 minutes Wigan lost left-back Sean White to a calf injury and this was to prove a pivotal moment in the game. Manager John Neafcy moved centre-half Mike Wood to left-back, dropped Ben Kay to the defence and brought Jake Foster on.

From this moment on the Robins had some much-needed width through Foster and although the score remained 1-0 at half-time the visitors finished strongly.

After the break, and a good old-fashioned rollicking from Neafcy, the Robins looked a different team. They upped the tempo, pressed higher up the pitch, and it was no surprise when Steve Edwards got on the end of a Michael Sykes-Wright cross to level the score on 58 minutes.

The Robins continued to press but all the good work was undone six minutes later when Wood made a mistake at left-back allowing John Wakefield to sneak in and calmly place the ball past Foulds to make it 2-1 to the home side.

However, credit must go to Park who took the game to Eccleshall and went close on a number of occasions before Judge pounced.

Seizing the ball 25 yards out on the left wing, he took two touches before curling in an unstoppable shot into the bottom corner of the net to make it 2-2.

There was a scare for Wigan when sub James Edgar fouled an Eccleshall player five yards outside the area, but thankfully the resultant free-kick drifted wide as the game finished level.