Servicemen remembered as St Pat’s power to success

Amateur RL
Amateur RL
Share this article

ST Patrick’s lifted the Elms Darbyshire Memorial Trophy with a 54-10 victory in their annual encounter with the Royal Marines.

The match was part of the Marines Memorial Festival at Clarington Park, held this year in honour of three Royal Marines who died in Afghanistan – Liam Elms, Steven Darbyshire, Stephen Curley – as well as submariner Ian Molyneux, who was killed at Plymouth in the line of duty.

Before a large crowd enjoying the day-long festivities in lovely sunshine, the teams were led out by the standard-bearers of the Royal Marines and other Associations.

The match was preceded by a touching ceremony including the bugle calls and the Royal British Legion exhortation.

To lend additional weight to the occasion, the Sky TV cameras were present to record events for Boots ’N All.

St Pat’s were no doubt gratified to match the Marines in fitness, and superior technique saw to the rest.

Try-scorers for St Pat’s were Will Boardman (2), Andy Higham (2), Curtis Hampson, Simon Atherton, Earl Hurst, Brad Smith, Zac Cotton and Tom Atherton. Brad Smith landed seven conversions.

For the Marines, Lance Corporal Tom Loxam and Sergeant John Coe scored tries, and Marine Tom Marchant converted the second.

Corporal Carl Gibson was man of the match for the Marines and won the Stephen Curley award.

Sergeant Simon Wright-Hider took the Lieutenant Commander Ian Molyneux Heart of Courage award.

Brad Smith was named man of the match for St Pat’s.

Back to National Conference League business, St Pat’s visit Leigh Miners on Saturday, kick-off 2.30pm.

In the National conference League, Hindley produced an indifferent team performance in a 32-18 loss to Woolston

A tight first half saw the hosts lead at the break with Andy Addison and John Welch crossing for Woolston .

James Lucas scored for Hindley after good work from Josh Donaghue and Chris Scarborough,.

Stephen Sutcliffe added the conversion to make the half-time score 8-6.

Hindley went further 
behind within minutes of the re-start when Lewis Stockton crossed for Woolston.

Hindley hit back almost immediately when man-of-the-match Sutcliffe crashed over also tagging on the extras.

Lack of discipline and ball retention then cost Hindley as Woolston added two quick fire tries to take the game away from the visitors .

Hindley went close through Chris Scarborough and then Frank Phillips which saw the prop Forward lose control of the ball in the act of scoring.

Woolston then put the game beyond Hindley scoring through Ste Arnold to lead 32-12.

With seconds remaining Hindley grabbed a 
consolation effort after a neat Wayne Crank offload found Scarborough.

His pass found the impressive loose forward James 
Lucas to score.