Small hat-trick sinks Dominoes

editorial image
Share this article

IT was a fine weekend for Wigan Robin Park as they came back from Staffordshire outfit Dominoes with a fine 8-0 victory.

Ryan Small fired in a hat-trick for the Robins, while Connor Tagoe netted on his deput.

Other goals for the Wigan side came from Richard Livingston, Ian Rowlands, Dean Callaway and an own-goal.

Elsewhere in the Premier Division, a last minute Mike Downing effort helped Ashton Athletic to a 1-1 draw at home against AFC Liverpool.

Ashton Town endured a disappointing week off the pitch when they were disqualified from the First Division Trophy, in which they had qualified for the final.

The news came after the club fielded an ineligible player in the quarter-final.

Club chairman Mark Hayes (right) said: “The error was an innocent mistake from the clubs management committee whom wrongly informed manager John Brownrigg that he could play a player, who had infact already represented Formby earlier in the competition.”

However, the club are determined to put the error behind them and focus on finishing third in the league.

It was a frustrating afternoon on Saturday though as they drew 0-0 at home to Abbey Hey. Goalkeeper Nathan Brabin pulled off a penalty save after giving away the spot kick.


In Wigan Amateur League Division One, Wigan Rovers edged out Foundry 1-0 thanks to Chris Sykes’ solitary effort while Ormskirk and St Jude’s drew 1-1 in a typical end of season contest.

Aspull slammed Leigh Legion 5-0 with Ross Ellison, Scott Adamson, James Smith, Matt Lynch and Brian Wilkinson all on the scoresheet.

Standish St Wilf’s went down 3-1 to Leigh Phoenix. Daryl Cope netted twice in first 15 minutes but Jamie Benson pulled one back for Standish before Craig Gardner restored Phoenix’s advantage – all before half time.

Up Holland are coming up on the rails in the North West Gas and Solar Heating Division Two beating AH Leisure 4-2 to move into second place while leaders Bickerstaffe Res slammed Punchbowl 4-0 to stay in poll position.

Foundry Res can thank Paul Burke as his solitary goal beat Lowton Rams 1-0.

In the Second Round of the Sam Davenport Cup Digmoor Res edged out Boars Head 2-1 to climb into the semi-final.

In the Wigan Cup quarter-finals, Pemberton beat top Manchester League side Hindsford while Winstanley St Aidan’s beat semi-professional side Ashton Town on penalties after a 2-2 draw.

The two Wigan sides will meet in the semi-final at Ashton Athletic FC this Thursday, kick off 6.15pm.


In the South Lancs Counties, Premier Division, Halsall ran out 4-2 winners against Goose Green with Dave Mawdsley scoring two.

Up Holland were 6-0 winners in Division One, beating Horwich St Mary’s Res, while Ashton Villa beat Up Holland Rangers 4-2 and St Cuthert’s went down 8-2 to Leigh Genesis. Garswood are still unbeaten in Division Two, beating Orwell 9-2 and a hat-trick by Joseph Rogerson helped Bryn Park win 5-4 against Ince Utd.

Chequer Lane came from behind to beat Aspull Res 2-1.

In Division Three Mitch FC moved into third place after a 5-1 win against Lower Ince, while St Cuthbert’s Res were 4-1 winners against Ormskirk Royals.

In mid-week in the Premier Division, Highfield Grange beat Golborne Parkside 2-1, Wigan Cosmos and Penlake drew 3-3. Cosmos also went down 3-0 against Aspull. Halsall ran out 6-2 winners against Orrell Otters and Horwich St Mary’s and Golborne Parkside drew 1-1.

In the under-17s division semi-final, Ashton Athletic came from behind twice and won the penalty shot-out against Horwich St Mary’s. They will play Standish Panthers in the final at Ashton Town’s ground on Sunday, May 19. Billinge and Standish Panthers had to settle for a 2-2 draw.