South Lancs Counties

Share this article

THE pick of the nine games in the League last weekend was a top-of-the-table clash in Division Two, with leaders St Cuthbert’s visiting second-placed Bird ‘Ith Albion.

It was Albion who took the honours and leapfrogged their opponents to go top after an 8-3 win. The hero for Albion was Joe Alexander who hit four goals.

Neil Robinson put Albion 1-0 up at the break, but Gary Kenyon equalised. Alexander hit the second but Scott Unsworth equalised for the Saints. Mark Jones and Ant Dunleavy gave Albion some breathing space, but James Demmings pulled a goal back to put the game back in the melting pot at 4-3. However, Alexander hit a further three goals, with Neil Robinson soon on target again as the last 15 minutes saw St Cuthbert’s shell-shocked.

In the Bill Heyes Cup, North Star came from 1-0 down at the interval to win 4-1 at Wigan Cosmos .

Sam Denton [2], Liam Atherton and Cameron Paice gave North Star a place in the semi-final.

Halsall came from behind to beat Ashton Villa 5-2 in the James Barnes Cup. Scot George put Villa ahead and then equalised after Halsall had gone ahead at 2-1. Three unanswered goals gave Halsall the win the the second half. Scott Tomlinson, Scott Wissett, Adam Styler, Alex Grisedale and James Garland were the marksmen.

In the Adam Morris Cup, Knowsley South beat Hindley Athletic 9-1 with Matty Cushion hitting four goals.

In the U-17s Cup quarter-final, Ashton Athletic progessed after a 7-6 penalty shot out win against Atherton Town. The scores were locked at 2-2 after the 90 minutes.

Tom Needham put Ashton ahead, only for Danny Locke to strike twice and put Town ahead at the interval. A second half equaliser by Josh Lafferty took the game into a penalty shoot-out.

Golborne Sports visited Garswood United and won 4-1 with Oliver Hibbert [2], Keiron Vesey and Nick Tasker on target.

Southport were too strong for Shevington and won by 9-1 with Luke Smith and Jamie Campbell each scoring a hat-trick. Craig Watson scored for Shevington.

In the Under-18s Cup quarter-final, Ashton Town visited Forefield Rangers and won 2-1, with all three goals coming in the second half.

George Nicholson gave Ashton Town the lead, with Eliot Burke equalising.

James Edgar struck a late winner for Ashton Town.

Victoria took a 2-0 lead in their Division Three clash with St Helens Rovers with strikes by Dave Barton and Paul Gregory. However, second half goals by Mike Jones and Adam McCann saw St Helens Rovers earn a point in a 2-2 draw.

Penlake moved into the quarter-finals of the Liverpool Intermediate Cup after a 1-0 win against Highwayman. Chris Foster hit the winner just into the second half.

The quarter-final is this coming Sunday at home against Greystone or LWW Printworks.