South Lancs Counties

Penlake in action
Penlake in action

THE weather won again as only seven matches were played last Sunday.

Frost and the surprise decision by the Wigan Metro to call matches off on the parks pitches put paid to a significant amount of games.

In Division Three, Orwell came from 1-0 down at the interval to beat St Helens Rovers 4-2.

The hero was substitute Craig Wooton who hit a hat-trick in the last six minutes to turn the game on its head.

Chris White gave the Saints the lead, but just after the interval Shaun McSorley equalised from the penalty spot.

Adam Morgan restored Rovers’ lead but then came Wooton who crashed home his hat-trick.

Division Three leaders Knowsley South also came from behind against Leigh Rovers and eventually won 8-2 with Matty Cushion hitting five goals.

After conceding three goals, Rovers brought it back to 3-2 before the leaders took control.

Halsall Reserves are in second spot after twice coming from behind to beat Victoria 5-2.

Mark Pennington and Dave Barton scored for the Vic, with Dan Fitzgerald (2), Stu Love, Matty Ward and Jeff Highton replying for Halsall.

In the Under-17s Division, leaders Atherton Town were too strong for Billinge and won 8-1. Lewis Morris and Steve Lees each scored a brace with Danny Lock, Danny Morton, Oliver Shepherd and Danny Pilling also on target for Town.

Liam Unwin scored a consolation goal for Billinge.

Southport also came from behind to beat Golborne Sports 4-2.

Keiron Vesey put Golborne ahead only for Jamie Campbell and Jordan Gregg to turn the tables. Just before the interval Vesey hit his second goal to put Golborne Sports level, but after the break Campbell scored two further goals to give Southport the points.

In Division One, two second-half goals by Scot Tomlinson and Keiron Wray saw leaders Halsall win 2-0 against Up Holland Rangers.

In the Liverpool Intermediate Cup quarter-final, Penlake triumphed 4-2 against LWV Printworks.

Kev Hill fired home a penalty to give Penlake a 1-0 interval lead.

Chris Foster and Nick Grindy made it 3-0 and all seemed set fair.

However, two goals from LWV put the game in the melting pot.

A Grindy goal, his second of the match, clinched the game for Penlake.

The Lancs Sunday Trophy game between Golborne Parkside and Preston City was postponed and the game will now be played in Preston this coming Sunday.