South Lancs Counties

ASHTON Villa hosted Orrell Sorrento in the only Division One game to survive the weather.

Villa recorded a 4-1 victory. Matt Verinda gave them the lead but by the break, Andy Houghton had equalised for Orrell Sorrento.

Adam McNeil, Matt Fairhurst and Dave Williams scored second-half goals to give Villa the points.

In Division Two, St Cuthbert’s moved back to top position after their 5-1 win over Bryn Hall, who drop to fourth place. Gary Kenyon and Don Chinemuhte each scored a brace, with Barry Gregson also on target for Saints.

Digmoor moved from fifth to third after a 3-1 win against Olympic. Alex Stoddern put Digmoor ahead, but a Craig Nelson penalty saw the sides go in at the break level. A second goal for Stoddern and another from Adam Hedderick saw Digmoor home.

Hindley Athletic visited Leigh Rovers in their Division Three match and came away with the points after a 3-2 win. Rovers took an early lead with a strike by Martin Foster.

However, Nathan Williams put Athletic level with a strike before the break. A penalty by Gary Stanley and a second Williams goal put Athletic 3-1 up. Paul Burke pulled it back to 3-2 and it was game on, but Rovers couldn’t breach Athletic’s defence again.

Also in Division Three, Knowlsey South are now seven points clear at the top after a 7-0 win against Martland Mill. Shaun Richards, Matty Cushion and Dave Lightfoot each scored a brace, with Ian Hughes also on target for Knowsley.

Victoria visited Hindley Lion and had a comfortable 8-1 win. Ant Whitton earlier equalised for Hindley Lion, but that was as good as it got. Dave Barton struck a hat-trick, Mark Pennington and Paul Gregson each scored a brace, and Dan Roughley was also on target for a rampant Victoria.

Ashton Town lead the U-18s Division on goal difference from Forefield Rangers after a narrow 2-1 win against Southport in an epic contest. Both teams played some good football but James Edgar put Town ahead on 30 minutes. A Paul Leahy strike just before the interval saw Southport on level terms.

In the second period the game was nip and tuck with both sides having chances, but it was Andy Lewis who fired home in the 82nd minute to give Town the points.

Forefield Rangers kept up the pressure with a 6-1 win against Appley Bridge. Rangers ran riot in the second half, scoring five unanswered goals. Elliot Burke (3), Josh Breen and Shaun Woods were the marksmen.