South Lancs Counties

Share this article

IN the Houghton Cup semi-final, Aspull JFC secured a 2-1 win against AFC Wigan.

Aspull caught Wigan cold and took a 2-0 lead after only seven minutes.

A back pass was charged down off the ‘keeper by Scot Adamson and he tapped home into an empty net. Minutes later a perfect through-ball saw Danny Edmundson crack home goal number two.

AFC Wigan came more into the game and fully deserved a Martin Lund goal, but it wasn’t enough.

Aspull will play Horwich St Mary’s in the final after the Saints were 2-0 victors against Penlake. Steve Macdonald and Reece Hopkins clinched victory for St Mary’s.

The Davenport Millennium Final was abandoned at the interval because of the heavy rain which turned the pitch at Ashton Town into a quagmire.

Digmoor led Up Holland 2-1. Up Holland had taken a fifth minute lead through Craig Madden, then Alex Stoddern pounced from eight yards out.

On 41 minutes Chris Walton headed home at the far post.

In the Premier Division, Goose Green kept their title aspirations alive for another week after a 2-0 win at Horwich St Mary’s. A goal in each half by Richie Livingstone and Dan Sherman saw Goose Green home.

Highfield are the red hot favourites for the title as they only need one point from their remaining three games.

In Division One, Golborne Parkside visited Marus Bridge and won 3-0 thanks to first half goals by Nathan Drury, Matty Hughes and Danny Horridge.

The win puts Golborne Parkside second in the table. Marus Bridge had lost to Whitley 4-0 in midweek.

In Division Two, Shaun Neary scored all four goals as Horwich St Mary’s Res beat Winstanley Warriors 4-0.

Goose Green Res were 3-1 winners at Bryn Park as Mike Aspey scored a brace for Green. John Rigby had earlier equalised for Park.

Knowsley South are within three points of the Division Three championship after a 5-0 win over PNC Athletic.

Halsall Reserves won 8-0 against Hindley Lion and cannot finish lower than second place.

Oliver Griffiths with a hat-trick, Jack Baker (2), Glen Stoeman, Phil Gore and James Griffiths were Halsall’s marksmen.

In the Under 18s, Southport Youth went down 2-0 at home to Penlake, with both goals coming in the first half from Mark Kelly and Liam Thomas.