St Jude’s still looking for first top flight win

Amateur rugby
Amateur rugby
Share this article

ST Jude’s are still awaiting their first win of the new season after losing 22-10 at home to Egremont Rangers.

Egremont raced into a 10-0 lead with tries from Kieron Glenn and Rhys Davies, Matthew Yenson kicked the goal.

Egremont increased their lead after half-time with a Yenson try goaled by Matthew Brewsher but Jude’s replied with tries from Dean Hunt and Steven King with Scott Robinson adding a conversion.

Egremont made the game safe in the dying minutes with a Jack Stantion try which was converted by Brewsher.

St Jude’s search for a first win since returning to the Premier Division resumes next week at home to East Hull. St Patrick’s crashed to a 38-4 home defeat to Cumbriand Wath Brow Hornets.

St Pat’s could not cope with the kicking game of Hornets’ stand-off Karl Dixon, which along with a string of penalties which kept them under non-stop pressure.

Winger Scott Pink scored the first for Hornets in the sixth minute as would-be tacklers stood off him.

St Pat’s replied with their only points five minutes later when a loose ball set up position for a try by centre Brad Hargreaves to equalise the scores.

A mis-fielded kick presented Pink with his second, and centre Fran King cut in for a try which made it 12-4 at half-time.

Hornets soon added to their score with a close range try by second row Matt Huby, converted by Pink.

St Pat’s stemmed the tide for 20 minutes but collapsed in the last quarter of an hour.

Hooker Ryan Doran dummied his way over, and full back Jamie Devine complemented an impeccable defensive display with a 50- yard solo try from the scrum. Pink converted both.

The kick-off went straight into touch, and centre Peter Caddy very quickly added the next score from a mis-fielded kick.

Quick hands to the left and a touch-down by winger Luke Davidson completed the scoring. St Pats visit Leigh Sports Village on Friday to take on Leigh in Round Three of the Challenge Cup, kick-off 7-30pm.