St Pat’s and St James’ take Grand Final titles

Wigan St Patrick's A celebrate their Grand Final success
Wigan St Patrick's A celebrate their Grand Final success
Share this article

WIGAN St Patrick’s A and Orrell St James’ are celebrating Grand Final successes in the North West Men’s League.

St Pat’s A were given the perfect climax to the season with Grand Final glory over Leigh Miners Rangers.

The 24-14 win handed the Wigan side the Division Two title.

The team and hard-working coaches John Ellis and Ronnie Dutch are already looking ahead to next season and the challenges Promotion to Division One will bring after a brilliant campaign this term.

Man-of-the-match was full back John Atkinson for a tremendous kicking game and fearless defence.

Going into an early 2-0 deficit, St Pat’s quickly responded with two tries by loose forward Phil Glover and one by Josh Leiper.

The best try came from scrum half Luke Taylor, who took on the Miners’ defence single-handed in a great solo run.

Three goals by Danny Pyke made the half time score 22-8.

Reduced to 12 men for most of the second half, St Pat’s were forced to consolidate and did so very well.

Their only score was a late penalty goal by Danny Pyke, but it was enough to ensure a momentous win and bring silverware to the famous club.

St Patrick’s A: Atkinson, Carter, Boardman, Bullough, Hollinsworth, Pike, Taylor, Mel Alker, Higham, Padget, Marlon Alker, Leaper, Glover.

Replacements: Hatton, Fairhurst, Sykes, Blann.

Leigh Miners A: Rozman, Paine, Monaghan, Lewis, Shepherd, Fitzmartin, Doyly, D Appleby, Teese, Charles, T Appelby.

Replacements: Lineard, Warburton, Marsh, Grimshaw.

Orrell St James’ won the NWML Division Three title after a comprehensive 34-10 win over Widnes Tigers.

But once again the runner-us up opened the scoring with stand-off David Patterson crossing with just two minutes of the game played.

Orrell replied with a quickfire double with Jordan Jones and Tom Whittle touching down either side of the five minute mark.

Substitute Adam Ball then extended his side’s lead to 18-6, a healthy lead which they were able to carry into the interval.

A dominant Orrell didn’t look back with second-rower Dave Astley scoring the first try of the second-half.

Jones scored the one of two more St James’ tries before Lee Forshaw gave the Tigers a late consolation.

Widnes: Sheridan, Hughes, Duggan, Gee, Salter, Patterson, Ellis, Whyment, Barr, Forshaw, Edge, Gledhill, McWhieter.

Replacements: Naylor, Dunn, Campbell, Higgins.

Orrell: Kell, Thompson, Macleod, Ball, Gregory, Maxfield, Cowley, Whittle, Jones, Holland, Astley, Williams, Moran.

Replacements: Davies, Ball, Hayton, Marsh

Other results:

Premier Division Grand Final: West Bank Bears 26 Widnes St Maries 6

Division One Grand Final: Bold Miners 36 
Heysham Atoms 22

Division Four Grand Final: Blackpool Scorpions 34 Crosfields 12