St Pat’s climb table with hard-fought win

St Pat's wrap-up East Leeds. Photo: Brian King
St Pat's wrap-up East Leeds. Photo: Brian King
Share this article

ST PATRICK’S edged an 80-minute battle of attrition between two well-matched sides, but it was a notable 10-4 victory against previously unbeaten East Leeds.

The first half of the National Conference Premier Division clash was played out in driving wind and rain, and the handling from both sides verged on the miraculous. Nevertheless, there was inevitably the odd mistake.

East Leeds imposed the early pressure and were off the mark in the eighth minute. Winger Jason Priestley squeezed in at the corner after receiving a pass from acting half back.

The cut and thrust continued, and in the 28th minute St Pat’s grabbed a lead they were not going to surrender. Scrum half Joe Prior took on the opposition in a superb solo run, dummying and outpacing half a dozen defenders on his way to the line.

Dan Birkett put the home side in front with a cracking conversion from close to touch. It remained 6-4 at half-time.

The sun made a welcome appearance in the second half, but the struggle continued very much as before, and the half was tryless.

Hard work was the order of the day, and Marlon Alker, Simon Atherton and Joe Prior were among outstanding performers for St Pat’s. Second row Ben Walkin stood out for the visitors.

St Pat’s were content to take what was going and went for goal kicks in the 46th and 63rd minutes. Birkett’s two successful penalty shots made a difference equal to a converted try.

In Division one, St Jude’s made the long trek to Myton of Hull and came away empty handed in a 32-12 loss.

The game was scoreless for the first 15 minutes as both sides blew chances.

But the home side struck first down their left flank and created an overlap to cross in the corner. The goal attempt drifted wide and it remained that way for the next 15 minutes.

Warriors broke down the right flank and raced over the line from 40 metres out.

The conversion was good and then right on the stroke of half-time, after concerted pressure, it was Myton again who crashed over from acting half back to make it 16-0 at the turn around.

Now playing with a strong wind at their backs the home side kept Jude’s pinned back and stretched their lead once again.

But finally, in the last quarter, man-of-the-match Nathan Bevan dummied his way over from 10 metres and young debutant Rob Collier added the extras.

And with five minutes to go prop Ryan Ainscough took a short ball and drove over, taking three defenders with

him before Myton claimed the last score.

Ince Rose Bridge sealed their place at the top of Division One with a 32-12 win over York Acorn.

In the North West Men’s League

A much depleted Ashton Bears side put up a brave effort against a very big and robust Shevington outfit but lost 24-10.

The opening quarter of the game saw both defences on top, with Shevington Sharks opening the scoring with a converted try .

Ashton dug deep and hit back when, following some good pressure, Tom Hopkins threw a great cutout pass for Caine Thompson to take and go over in the corner. On the stroke of half-time Shevington stretched their lead with an unconverted try.

Shevington scored two tries in the first 10 minutes after the restart but the young lads from Ashton refused to lie down and on 65 minutes scored a great try.

Andy Bailey made a good break before passing to Steve Budworth who flew down the wing then chipped through. Tom Hopkins fly kicked the ball before beating the defence to score. Matty Melling converted. Shevington finished the scoring in the last few minutes.