St Pat’s go through in Conference Cup

editorial image

WIGAN St Patrick’s progressed to the next round of the National Conference League Cup with a 36-24 victory in the preliminary round at Stanley Rangers of Wakefield.

They are rewarded with a home tie against Hunslet Warriors on June 1.

They were given an awful fright by a capable Rangers side, who bellied their position at the top of division 1 of the National Conference League.

Rangers ran up an 18-6 lead in the first half hour and regained the lead with only six minutes left before St Pats finally made it safe.

Rangers centre Chris Nichol opened the scoring on the 10th minute when he seized on a fumbled high kick, stand off Dan Grice converting.

St Pat’s equalised on 17 minutes when centre Tom Woodcock crossed off a return pass from winger Matt Charnock and Brad Smith added the goal.

Three minutes later Rangers regained the lead when scrum half Craig Williamson took advantage of another loose ball and sprinted 50 yards to score, Grice’s kick making it 12-6.

On 33 minutes a pass from the scrum found Grice striding through a wide gap and sprinting 50 yards to the line. He also converted.

St Pat’s managed to reduce the arrears before half time when Ryan Baxter made an opening enabling Reece Sedgewick to force his way over.

Only a minute after the break they made further progress when Phil Glover picked up a loose ball and Tom Woodcock took advantage to score his second try, Dean Hatton converted.

St Pat’s finally grabbed the lead on 55 minutes when Kieron Harrison scored from short range and Hatton added the goal to make it 18-22.

The ovation became perilous when Rangers prop Craig Rhodes equalised with a try on 74 minutes and Grice’s conversion took them back in front.

It instilled a sense of urgency into the visitors, who pulled the fat out of the firs with a late flurry of points.

A nice short ball by Ryan Baxter put Phil Glover through for a try to regain the lead and Smith converted.

A penalty goal by Smith ensured that Rangers would have to score twice to get back in front, but the issue was put to rest just ahead of the final whistle.

Ryan Baxter, whose ball-play had been a feature, made the opening again for a concluding try by Atherton, Smith converting.

On Saturday St Pat’s are back to league business with a visit from Skirlaugh.

Elsewhere, Ince Rose Bridge were knocked out after losing 48-16 to holders Leigh Miners Rangers.

Hindley were thumped 50-0 away at Shaw Cross Sharks.

Meanwhile, St Cuthert’s were in league action and suffered a 52-18 defeat away at Pilkington.

ST Jude’s were dumped out of the Conference Cup by Hunslet Warriors who fielded three former professionals and it told,

Jude’s started well and scored first when good handling got Darryl King over in the corner the kick failed then 10 minutes later Nathan Jones stole the ball one on one and raced 40 metres to go under the post.

Jude’s then cracked under pressure and leaked two converted tries to trail 12-10 at the break. The second half was all Hunslet as their big pack started to off load in the tackle and cause problems for the Jude’s defence they stretched their lead to eight points.

Jude’s hit back with a well worked try from King. This was only a blip as the visitors tore holes in the Jude’s line with good offloads and good support play to run in three tries of which two were converted and kick a penalty to make the gap 18 points.

King did put over Pendlebury to claim his hat-trick who then added the extras to round off Jude’s scoring for the afternoon.

Hunslet completed the scoring as they ran in another long range effort inter passing on the way and finished the game with a 70-metre interception try.


ASHTON Bears enjoyed a fantastic 24-16 victory over St Helens-based North West Counties Premier Division leaders Clock Face.

After five minutes Caine Thompson ran the length of the field when he picked up a loose pass on his own line, Matty Melling converted and the Bears were 6-0 up.

Bears increased the lead on 20 minutes after Danny Beckett fed prop Kieron Spruce who sent Peter Shaw charging under the sticks, Melling again added the extras to make it 12-0 going into the break.

Clock Face hit back on 50 minutes with two tries before Andy Ball crashed over the whitewash for a try, again converted by Melling and the Bears were 18-10 up.

Clock Face stuck at it however and were rewarded with 10 minutes left with another six pointer to make the score 18-16 and all to play for again.

On the last play of the game it was Andy Ball who sealed victory after running 80 yards.

Elsewhere in the Premier Division, Shevington Sharks went down 32-18 to Halton Farnworth Hornets.

In Division One, St Jude’s A beat Bold Miners 18-16, Leigh East A beat Chorley Panthers 36-20 and Spring View won at Latchford 32-12. St Pat’s A lost in Division Two while there were wins for Ashton A, and Orrell in Division Four.