St Pat’s slump to sixth after Lock Lane defeat

editorial image

ST Patrick’s suffered a disappointing 27-16 home defeat against Castleford Lock Lane in the NCL Premier Division after being 16-0 up until almost half half-time.

In only the first minute hooker Dean Hatton shot over from acting half back and also converted.

Despite a strong response from the visitors, Ryan Smith sliced through their defensive ranks for a touch-down on 21 minutes.

On the half hour St Pat’s increased their lead still further when centre Brad Hargreaves crossed from some creative work by scrum half Joe Prior.

Hatton’s touch-line conversion completed the St Pat’s scoring.

With two minutes of the half to go Lock Lane sub forward Steve Scott won the struggle to touch down amidst a ruck on the try line.

Danny Rowse converted from the touch line.

The rot had set in and there was clearly a reluctance to tackle the massive Scott.

Straight from the kick-off he brushed off three half-hearted attempts and laid off a good ball to scorer Chris Siddons.

The visitors equalised on 54 minutes when hooker Paul Brown touched down despite being tackled on the line and Rowse converted.

On the hour stand-off Mike Hayward opened up a gap in the home defence with a switch of direction and Adam Garlick strolled through to score.

Rowse converted to give Lane a six-point lead.

Unable once again to do the full 80 minutes, St Pat’s nevertheless re-imposed plenty of pressure but the killer-punch was lacking.

Their chance seemed to have gone when Danny Rowse dropped a goal in the 73rd minute, ensuring St Pat’s had to score twice to get a result.

The final nail in their coffin came practically on full time when Scott strolled through again and Garlick backed up to score.

St Pat’s now sit sixth in the league after being top only a few weeks ago.

St Helens side Thatto Heath Crusaders now sit at the summit with Lock Lane, Egremont Rangers, Wath Brow and West Hull all between St Pat’s and the top.

However, the Premier Division is so tightly contested only three wins separate the top nine sides in the division.

While this is good news for teams wanting to climb the table, it is also a warning that a dip in form can have severe consequences as far as league position is concerned.

St Pat’s visit Wath Brow in Cumbria on Saturday in the National Conference League Challenge Cup semi-final, kick-off 2.30 pm.

St Pat’s will need to rediscover the form which saw them go almost three months unbeaten earlier in the year if they are to go through to the final.

INCE Rose Bridge pushed East hull all the way only to find them on the wrong end of a 32-31 scoreline.

On twelve minutes the East Hull hooker Matty Brooks opened the scoring by diving over the try line from short distance. Carl Puckering kicked the conversion.

With ten minutes of the first half remaining the Rose Bridge loose forward picked up the loose ball at the base of the scrum and rounded the East Hull fullback to score under the posts, Which Chris Boylan converted.

With Ince Rose Bridge desperately needing two points in their quest to avoid relegation managed once again to level the scores 30-30 with two converted tries for inspirational scrum half Tony Baker.

With only three minutes remaining Ince Rose Bridge standoff Kieran Eccleston dropped a thirty metre drop goal.

From the restart East Hull regained possession and on the last tackle the East hull substitute Scott Partis levelled the scores with his own drop goal.

On what was to be the last set of the game East Hull gained great field position which gave Carl Puckering the opportunity to slot over their second drop goal with the last kick of the game.


WIGAN St Cuthbert’s were on the wrong end of a 50 - 4 defeat away to Blackbrook Royals of St Helens in their National Conference Division Three fixture.

There was little joy for the Wigan side as they went behind as early as the fifth minute and from then on Blackbrook were able to add to their try tally all too easily.

With a half-time score of 32 -0 in favour of the home side the game was well beyond the visitors but while Blackbrook built on their lead to reach the 50 mark by the 55th minute, St Cuthbert’s managed to restrict any further scores by their opponents and in the 65th minute they managed a consolation try of their own through evergreen prop foward, Mark Baggerley.

There were few bright spots in defeat for Wigan St Cuthbert’s but players at the younger end of the age range including Bradshaw, Williams, Fishwick, Cottrill, Coleman and Clarke showed both endeavour and commitment in their individual performances.

St Cuthbert’s still sit just one place above the bottom of the division but are unlikely to be caught by bottom side Peterlee Pumas who are eight points adrift.

Elsewhere in Division Three, St Helens side Pikington Recs still top the division with Blackbrook in fourth place. Underbank Rangers are third.

DESPITE missing several key players and four under-18s making their open age debut, Hindley managed to grab a last ditch 34-32 against Heworth.

Hindley started the game on the back foot, after an ariel bomb was not defused, which gave the hosts good field position ,this saw them cross next to the sticks.

Hindley then hit back when Andy Wright cut through a huge gap to put Rob Bailey away a neat pass found winger Raith Stringer who went over.

Hindley then conceded back to back penalties, this gave the home 
side great field positionbut a stray pass was intercepted by Andy Wright who scored from 70 metres, also adding the extras himself to give Hindley a 12-6 lead.

The home side were now camped in the Hindley half and only a superb last ditch one on one tackle from Jake Simm prevented them scoring.

Minutes later they eventually crossed when a crossfield move opened up the Hindley defence which saw them score and take the lead.

Heworth then stretched their lead when their prop scored.

Hindley pressed when full back Jake Simm made a neat half break, good yards from Danny Carney gave Stephen Sutcliffe time and his ball missed out two players to find winger Raith Stringer who went past his opposite number to score in the corner and reduce the gap to two.

Hindley then scored their secnd intercept of the game when a long ball was plucked out of the air by Stephen Sutcliffe.

Hindley then pressed the self destruct button after taking the lead, conceding needless penalties, which resulted in the hosts scoring twice in as many minutes to lead 32-24.

With the scores locked at 32-32 Andy Wright coolly slotted over the conversion to give Hindley a tough and hard fought win.