Standish United battle back to snatch dramatic draw

Standish United (red kit) drew 6-6 with Real Haydock
Standish United (red kit) drew 6-6 with Real Haydock

A dozen goals couldn’t separate the Division Two mid-table rivals as Standish United snatched a 6-6 draw from their visit to Real Haydock in the South Lancs Counties League.

After battling back from a 4-1 half-time deficit, it looked once more as though Standish would have to abandon hope of salvaging any points when Gary Charnley converted a penalty for Haydock with five minutes to go.

But Ben Gibson fired home to level the match at 6-6 with moments to spare.

A Tom Jackson volley gave Real Haydock the lead before Standish United missed a penalty.

United then equalised through Cameron Foster.

By the interval, Chris Bennett struck a hat-trick to give Haydock a 4-1 half-time lead.

After the interval, Foster’s second goal and a brace from Andy O’Connor saw Standish level at 4-4.

Mark Dorne put Real Haydock back in front at 5-4 but Dave Cavill equalised for United in a frantic finish.

Fallows Way were 5-1 winners against Hawkley Athletic and moved to third place with games in hand.

Highfield Grange sit top of the Premier Division following a 5-0 win at Horwich St Mary’s.

And Tanner FC were too strong for bottom club Golborne Parkside – they also won 5-0 while Up Holland and Digmoor shared the points in a 2-2 draw.

Division One leaders Adam Morris FC drew 2-2 with Ashurst FC but AFC Rainford moved into second place after a resounding 12-4 win against fourth-placed AFC Leigh.

Garswood United moved off the bottom after a 1-0 win at Chequer Lane.

Olympic Athletic prop up the table after their game was abandoned at half-time due to the weather.

St Jude’s, top of Division Three, won 6-4 at Leigh Madrid.

The leaders have Bickerstaffe on their tail after their narrow 3-2 win at Canal Turn.

Winstanley are in third spot with games in hand and they won 5-0 at Leigh Genesis.

In the Wigan Amateur League, the heavy rain played havoc with fixtures and only nine league games survived the weather.

Astley and Tyldesley, who are going really well, took on bottom side Ashton Villa and after a tight fought game took the points 2-0.

Mike Barnes opened the scoring with a typical striker’s goal but Villa hit back and went close with Si Parry missing a couple of chances. The home side made it 2-0 through Jordan Pollock and that how it ended.

Leaders Mitch FC fully expected to beat lowly Leigh Rangers but got a shock as Rangers held out for a 0-0 draw.

AH Leisure pulled off a useful 2-1 win at Whelley in what is proving their best ever season as they lie fifth in the table.

Only one game survived in the Garswood Trophies Premier Division as Champions Standish St Wilf’s edged-out title favourites Bel Air 3-2 with Martin Ratcliffe and Johan Du Toit in eye catching form for the visitors.

It was a sad day for Leigh Phoenix who couldn’t raise a side against Pemberton who were awarded the points.

In Division One there was a big shock at Hall Lane where mid table Bickerstaffe Res blitzed leaders AFC Tyldesley 7-2 with Luke Hughes claiming two of the goalsd in a one sided contest.

A hat-trick hero was AFC Scholes striker Chris

Demings who struck three times against Boars Head in a 6-1 thrashing of the Golborne side.

Daren Mears also got his name on the scoresheet twice for the visitors.

Digmoor Res kept up their title challenge with a 3-0 victory over Winstanley Warriors.

Division Three’s Old Hawardonians have started to climb the table after their second seven-goal haul in as many games. This week they beat Ormskirk 7-2.