Stanistreet seals Cup win for Atherleigh United

Cup winners Atherleigh United
Cup winners Atherleigh United

Atherleigh United completed a cup and league double as they carried off the Mike Taylor Trophy after beating Old Hawardonians 2-0 in the final.

The Bolton side’s stand-in keeper Declan Rawlinson was the star of the first 10 minutes of the contest pulling off three brilliant saves to deny the rampant United. However, he turned from hero to villain soon after when bringing down Christian Grundy for a penalty.

Up stepped Josh Tunstall who fired home from the spot. At the other end Connor Williams went close as his 30-yard shot sizzled past the post.

The match was sealed on 65 minutes when Grundy set up Kaiden Stanistreet, who raced through to score.

Jay Bohannon and Gaz Bowyer both went close for Hawardonians in the late stages but neither player could get his effort on target. United skipper Grundy was voted man-of-the-match. League President Mike Taylor presented the trophy to a delighted United team.

Standish St Wilf’s won the Keith and Margaret Whitehead Cup beating Wigan Rovers 4-0. The Standish side led by a Martin Ratcliffe goal at the break. Dave Moore made it 2-0 and then Jordan Patton added number three before Greg Berry finished it off with goal number four.

As for Rovers they hit the post and forced a couple of good saves, but in the end it

was a fair result. Johan Du Toit, the Standish midfield genius, was awarded man of the


It was a bad day for Rainford North End, who lost 3-0 to Woodchurch from Birkenhead in the Northern Cup Final at South Liverpool.

The Wirral side scored an amazing 30-yard goal on the half-hour and North End never recovered from this set


On the hour some really poor defending gave Woodchurch their second and they added a third from a corner soon after.

The Wigan League side only got going after this goal and they laid siege to their opponents goal for the last 20 minutes, hitting the post and going close on a number of occasions.

The Laithwaite Shield Final on Tuesday, May 12 will be between seven-time winners Standish St Wilf’s and this season’s surprise packet, Bickerstaffe Res.

The Standish outfit, who first won the old trophy in 1912, faced Rainford North End in the semi-finals, winning 2-1 with a last-minute goal from Martin Ratcliffe.

Standish had gone ahead on the stroke of half-time when Ratcliffe got his first goal.

Hallsall beat Lancashire Ice in a penalty shoot-out after the sides were level at 1-1 after 90 minutes in the Bill Heyes Memorial Cup Final.

Halsall started the game well and after 25 minutes were ahead from a move which ended with Matthew Ward scoring.

Ice started the second half by playing some wonderful football and deservedly drew level on 70 minutes.

A brilliant 25-yard effort from Ryan Wallace drew the sides level, when he beat two players before unleashing an unstoppable shot. The shoot-out was a tale of woe for Ice when they missed their first two penalties.

Halsall converted their first two before Ice put one on the board.

But the Cup went to Halsall when Lancashire missed their fourth spot kick.

In the league, Ice kept their Premier Division aspirations alive with a 4-0 win over Digmoor. Adam Morris FC are the champions of Division Two following a 6-0 win over neighbours Hindley Green Spinners. St Jude’s remain top of Division Three with a 2-0 win at Town Green.