Time runs out as Hindley held to a draw by Clock Face

Hindley in action during their 12-12 draw with Clock Face at the weekend
Hindley in action during their 12-12 draw with Clock Face at the weekend

A hard-fought battle saw both sides take a point in a game no team deserved to lose as Hindley drew 12-12 with Clock Face in the North West Men’s League.

In the second minute a Grant Murphy hit set the platform for the rest of the half. Hindley controlled the early stages twice going close.

At the other end, magnificent goal-line defence kept Clock out.

In the 21st minute a sweeping move saw full-back McGowan cross out wide to give the visitors a four-point lead.

Hindley pressed with Chris Scarborough a constant threat to the Clock defence .

With minutes of the half to go, constant pressure on the Clock line saw Hindley awarded three penalties on the run but all to no avail.

The second half started well for Hindley with Tommy Edwards and Josh Donaghue making some hard yards - Jake Hughes and Chris Scarborough combined which saw Rob Bailey go close.

Minutes later Josh Donaghue crashed through a hole in the Clock defence to run 30 metres before offloading to Ryan McKenzie who was held up just short.

But a superb offload found Scarborough who dove over to score with Raith Stringer converting to give Hindley a 6-4 lead.

A penalty in the Hindley half for an infringement gave Hindley good field position and good hands from Scarborough and Ryan McKenzie saw Chris Piercy crash over. Stringer converted to stretch the lead to 12-4.

This seemed to galvanise Clock who came storming back within minutes as hooker Lucas crossed from close range. Hatton’s goal reduced the gap to two points.

In the 77th minute an infringement 20 metres from the Hindley line saw Hatton level matters then the same player saw his drop-goal attempt drift wide.

Elsewhere, Haydock started the better and opened the scoring after five minutes with a converted try, but were beaten 26-14 by Ashton Bears.

Ashton replied with a try in the corner by winger Steve Budworth after quick hands across the line.

Haydock again started the second half the better and increased the lead on 50 minutes.

The Bears hit back when Peter Shaw stored over from 20 metres out.

Ashton were now getting on top and the young forwards were keeping control against the much bigger home pack.

They took the lead after 65 minutes thanks to hard work from Shane Jones and a great final ball sent Lewis Roberts over.

The Bears then knocked on straight from the restart and Haydock levelled with another try in the corner.

Ashton then hit back with 10 minutes left when Andrew Maunder touched down a grubber kick.

Budworth’s late try saw the Bears home.