Town Green Athletic reach Cup semi-final

Amateur football
Amateur football

TOWN Green Athletic visited Billinge in the quarter final of Division Three’s Adam Morris Cup and won 5-2.

The star of the show was undoubtedly Town Green keeper Tom Hull, who picked off some memorable saves to thwart Billinge.

Town Green went ahead after eight minutes with a strike from Scot Bate from a through ball by Harry Hesketh.

Billinge were given a penalty for handball but the spot kick was brilliantly saved by Hull and it took 32 minutes before Hull was finally beaten after a goalmouth scramble, from which Callum Atherton thumped the ball home.

Just before the interval, Town Green retook the lead when Tom Ashton drilled home a free-kick from 20 yards.

Virtually straight from the second half kick-off, Dan Hague put Town Green further ahead but a serious injury saw Green reduced 10 men as they had no substitutes.

Hull kept Billinge at bay with smart saves but could do nothing as Joe Harrison smashed home on 55 minutes.

But Hull wouldn’t be beaten again as he made a further three fantastic saves to break Billinge hearts.

A break by Town Green saw them awarded a free kick with Ashton lining up a shot as he did in the first half.

This time he laid the ball to Harry Hesketh which fooled the defenders and Hesketh made it 4-2.

Sam Dobinson completed the scoring after a breakaway by Town Green.

St Jude’s also made it through to the semi-final with a 3-0 win against Astley and Tyldesley.

In the South Lancs Charity Cup, Fallows Way got the better of St Helens Rovers by 8-3, while in the Bill Heyes memorial Cup Lancashire Ice beat Tanner FC 3-0.

Highfield Grange top the Premier Division but were held to a 2-2 draw by Wigan Cosmos.

Highfield led 2-0 but second half goals from a Mike Landy header and Call Jones gave Cosmos a share of the points.

Cosmos keeper Simon Aspinall made a stunning late save to keep the score level. Second-placed Halsall, with games in hand, visited Up Holland and won 4-1. Leigh Genesis beat bottom club Golborne Parkside 3-1.

Adam Morris FC just got the better of second bottom Aspull Reserves, winning 1-0 in their Division One clash.

Garswood United moved out of the bottom two with their fourth win in a row, beating bottom club Olympic Athletic 4-1. Orrell Athletic visited Ashurst FC and after going behind won 2-1. AFC Rainford are in second spot after a 3-0 win against Standish Park Rangers. Hindley Green Spinners moved up to third after a 3-2 win at AFC Leigh.

In Division Two, Real Haydock went 2-0 up at Standish united but fought back to 2-2 before Haydock went on to win 5-2.

Highfield Grange Youth beat Hawkley Athletic 3-1.

In the Wigan Amateur League, Winstanley Warriors Reserves, chasing the Northgate Vehicle Hire Division Three title, visited Mitch FC Reserves and in an excellent match beat their hosts 5-2.

This was mainly thanks to a superb hat trick from John Horrobin and Warriors were a goal up early on when Horrobin raced through to score.

Leaders Atherleigh United kept up their title challenge with a 3-1win over Wigan Rovers Res. Leading the way was their ace marksman Kaiden Stanistreet with two and skipper Christian Grundy with the other while ultra consistent Stuart Myers replied for Rovers.

Bel Air kept up their title push in the Garswood Trophies Premier Division, blasting Hindley Town 4-0 thanks to a couple from Martin Ruddy and singles from Scott Peach and Mike Case.

A solitary first half goal from Jamie Benson was enough to give Standish St Wilf’s the points at Pemberton while Winstanley St Aidan’s edged out Shevington 2-1.