Wigan Amateur League

TWO teams at the wrong end of the Garswood Trophies Premier Division met at Laithwaite Park with visitors Shevington coming from behind to beat Gidlow 2-1.

The home side drew first blood when referee Andrew Butler awarded them a penalty. Up stepped Dean Ainscough to put Athletic in front.

The second half saw Chris Buchanan level matters with a well taken goal and then in the later stages he added his second to give Shevington a precious three points.

Digmoor and Leigh Rangers drew 2-2 at Glenburn. Rangers took the lead through Steve Anderton.

Early in the second period they went 2-0 up with a great header from Roger Bond Junior.

Digmoor finally pulled one back when Jason Harford broke clear to score.

A few minutes later it was 2-2 as John Stalker headed home Gary Thomas’ cross.

Pemberton crashed 5-2 at home to Downall Green.

Andy Simm and John Gough got two each, with Steve Nuttie adding the other, while the home teams’ scorers were James Fagan and Andy Reid.

Ince and AFC Scholes drew 2-2 with Liam Baldwin and Woiteth Pszeniczny netting for the home side and Jason Clarke and Adam Rosser replying.

Ince Central climbed into top spot after Jamie Bennett’s goal edged out Standish St Wilf’s.

Division One leaders Atherton Royal crashed 3-2 at St Jude’s as Shaun Shepherd (2) and Keith Best did the damage, with Chris Greeley and Trevor Cooper replying.

Orrell failed to take advantage as they could only draw 1-1 with Foundry, while Standish St Wilf’s Res pulled off a useful 3-1 win over Winstanley Res.

Division Two top dogs Belair scraped a 2-1 win at Leigh Rangers Reserves, while rivals Aspull could only draw 2-2 with Up Holland.

Boars Head got their best win of the season, 4-1 at Orrell Res. Wigan Rovers Res got a valuable point in a 3-3 draw with Atherton Hag Fold with poor Rovers scoring five of the goals!

Mick Hudson (2) and Dave Walker scored at the right end, but two colleagues got two at the wrong end and Stuart McPike also netted.

Autus Web Design Division Three title chasers Cart and Horses were fortunate to pull off a 4-2 victory at Winstanley Warriors, while AH Leisure returned to winning ways with a narrow 2-1 success at Atherton George.

In a Laithwaite Shield tie Winstanley St Aidan’s ran riot against ten-man Springfield, winning 11-0, while it was a miserable day for our teams in the Northern Cup with Bickerstaffe Res, Hindley Town Res and Leigh Legion all crashing out.