Wigan Amateur League

Share this article

GARSWOOD Trophies Premier Division basement battlers Bickerstaffe made the long journey to in-form Ince and were rewarded for a gutsy performance with a 2-0 victory.

The visitors went ahead when John Carter’s long throw wasn’t cleared by the Ince defence and Dave Parry scored from close range.

Ince were made to pay dearly for misses when another Carter throw caused havoc in the Ince defence and Will Lamb fired home.

League leaders Winstanley St Aidan’s tuned up for their Lancashire Cup semi-final with a narrow 1-0 win over Downall Green United as Martin Thomas got the all important goal.

There was a goal feast at Digmoor where the home side and Hindley Town shared the spoils 5-5. Town drew first blood through Dave Moore, but Alan Tyrer headed Digmoor level. Scott Higham put Town back in front, only for a 20-yard shot from Steve Tomaselli to make it 2-2. Tomaselli then added his second and Dean Rendall’s 30 yard free kick made it 4-2. Jay Harford added a fifth as Digmoor looked to have sealed it. Town though were not finished and Higham and Martin Crossland made the score 5-4.

Town then had a man sent off but still managed a last gasp equaliser from Crossland.

AFC Scholes edged out Standish St Wilf’s 1-0 thanks to Mick Bolton’s effort, while Leigh Rangers saw off Gidlow Athletic 3-1.

Shevington defeated Pemberton with Chris Buchanan getting two, and Newburgh Harrock United kept up their title hopes with a 3-0 home win over Ince Central courtesy of Ash Deakin, Eddie Williams and an own goal.

Division One title-chasers Foundry lost ground after a goalless draw at Goose Green United., while St Jude’s beat old rivals Wigan Rovers 3-1.

A hat-trick from Mark Swift helped Standish St Wilf’s Res to a 4-1 win over near neighbours Shevington Res.

In Division Two, leaders Belair gained a 2-0 win at Bickerstaffe Res with strikes from Neil Davies and Ruddy. Aspull could only draw 1-1 with Orrell Res, while Up Holland take closer order after a 4-2 victory over Atherton Hag Fold.

Cherrybrook beat Leigh Rangers Res 3-0 thanks to a penalty from John Nelson, Scott Unsworth and a spectacular goal from Lewis Marsden.

Division Three high-fliers Foundry Res could only draw with Lowton Rams 2-2, so lost top spot.