Wigan Amateur League

Share this article

IN the Garswood Trophies Premier Division, Standish St Wilf’s and Gidlow Athletic shared the spoils 1-1, while a hat-trick from Scott Peach was the highlight as AFC Scholes beat bottom side Bickerstaffe 4-0.

Downall Green United grabbed a vital victory as they outpointed Ince Central as Ian Kearney’s goal did the trick.

Division One leaders Atherton Royal struggled to defeat lowly Wigan Rovers 2-1. Chris Greeley put Royal ahead from the spot but Rovers hit back through Adam Morgan. As time ran out Royal were awarded another penalty which Greeley put away.

Leigh Phoenix thrashed Winstanley Res 6-1 as Craig Gardner and Scott Mulcrow got two apiece, while Foundry edged out Shevington Res 3-2.

St Jude’s pulled off a surprise 2-1 win over title-chasing Farnworth Town.

Shaun Shepherd edged Jude’s ahead, only for Ian Teasdale to make it all square.

Lee Harman grabbed a late winner for the home side.

Autus Web Design Division Three action saw Lowton Rams lose ground after a narrow 2-1 defeat at the hands of Gidlow Res.

The man of the match was Danny Davies on his last appearance before moving abroad.

Ince Central Res dented AH Leisure’s slender hopes of the title with a 3-2 victory.

Mike Rasburn, Andy Moseley and Ryan Gaskell netted for Central, with Cameron Loynd and Sean Noone replying.

Winstanley Warriors saw off Ashton Villa 3-2 with their hero Lee Glynn claiming a hat-trick.

It was divisional cup day and in the Keith and Margaret Whitehead Cup Winstanley St Aidan’s moved into the semi-finals with a 2-0 win over Leigh Rangers courtesy of goals from Andy Hodgkiss and Paul Gibson.

In a game of three penalties Shevington edged out Pemberton 2-1.

Hindley Town came from behind to beat Digmoor by the odd goal in three, while Newburgh Harrock United beat Ince on penalties after a goalless draw.

In Division One’s Colin Silcock Cup Goose Green beat Orrell on penalties after a 3-3 scoreline in 120 minutes.

Standish St Wilf’s Res beat Ormskirk 2-1 to take a place in the last four.

The Sam Davenport Cup holders Leigh Legion crashed out 2-1 at Cherrybrook, while a couple of goals from Anthony Rudd helped Aspull to a 4-1 win at Hindley Town Res.

Boars Head came from behind to snatch a late 2-1 victory at Up Holland.

In the Mike Taylor Cup for third division teams, Atherton George – with Andy Tipping netting twice – edged out Wigan Celtic 4-3, while Paul Burke’s brace gave Foundry Res victory over Billinge Community.

The final semi-final place goes to Cart and Horses who slammed Black Bull 6-2.

In Division Two, Atherton Hag Fold beat Orrell Res 5-3 with Paul Hook claiming his very first hat-trick.

Winstanley St Aidans’ Lancashire Amateur Cup dream ended last Wednesday evening as they lost to East Lancashire League outfit FC Langho on penalties after a goalless match.