Wigan Amateur League

DIVISION Two leaders Belair struggled to beat lowly Springfield 2-1 with goals from Paul Veall and Tom Whelan. Steve Lees replied.

Aspull kept up their challenge with a 3-0 home win over Farnworth Town Res thanks to goals from Danny Curran, Scott Adamson and Anthony Rudd, while Leigh Rangers Res beat Hindley Town Res 6-3.

Cherrybrook beat Up Holland 4-2 with Lewis Marsden claiming a hat-trick.

Bickerstaffe Res edged out bottom club Wigan Rovers Res 2-1 with goals from Stuart Pennington and Anthony Hind, with Dave Walker replying.

Garswood Trophies Premier Division leaders Winstanley St Aidan’s edged out Newburgh Harrock United thanks to a solitary goal from Andy Hodgkiss, while Gidlow Athletic gained revenge for last week’s setback by slamming Pemberton 5-2.

Jamie Bennet knocked in two of the goals as Ince Central beat Bickerstaffe 4-1.

Standish St Wilf’s are moving up the table after defeating Digmoor 3-1 with Duncan McPhail netting twice.

Downall Green United fielded an ‘All our Yesterdays’ line-up - including 48-year-olds Malcolm Simm and Mal Ward and 46-year-old John Gough - and proved there is nothing like experience as United pulled off a vital 3-1 win over AFC Scholes with goals from Craig Scriven, John Gough and Tom Yates.

Jay Clarke netted for the losers.

Hindley Town dented Leigh Rangers’ title hopes with a 4-1 drubbing.

Dave Moore (2), Chris Hewitt and Grant Hurst were the scorers, with Sean Bradbury getting Rangers’ consolation.

Ince and Shevington shared the points after a 2-2 draw.

Division One title favourites Orrell pulled off a 3-1 win at Goose Green United to go back on top of the table, while a Ryan Puckering solo effort gave Wigan Rovers a priceless three points at the expense of St Jude’s.

Ormskirk return to the bottom after losing 4-2 at home to in-form Leigh Legion, while AFC Tyldesley - with Shaun Rowley picking up a couple of goals - saw off out of form Winstanley Res 4-2.

It was knockout day in Autus Web Design Division Three where the Mike Taylor Cup semi-finals took place.

There was a surprise when Atherton George edged out Foundry Res 3-2 as Andy Tipping (2) and Ryan Davies scored, with Paul Burke getting both Foundry goals.

Cart and Horses defeated Lowton Rams 3-1 in the other semi.

The final is on Wednesday, April 25 at Ashton Athletic (7.30pm).

There was one league game in the division as Gidlow Res beat Black Bull 6-2 with young Cobi Derbyshire claiming his first hat-trick.

The outstanding Colin Silcock Cup match was won by Foundry who beat Atherton Royal 3-2.

Foundry’s star striker Dave Bullough grabbed two of their goals.