Wigan Amateur League

Share this article

THE Colin Silcock Cup Final on Saturday will be between Orrell and Foundry following wins in this week’s semi-finals.

Orrell faced Standish St Wilf’s and were soon a goal up when Danny Jepson headed home.

The second half was only ten minutes old when Orrell doubled their lead. Hickling hit the post with a rasping shot but then crossed for substitute Caddick to sweep the ball home.

Orrell were not finished and their pressure paid off when Hickling poked the ball home from close range.

Standish got a late consolation as Dave Johnson scored from the spot.

Foundry were lucky to beat Wigan Rovers 2-1 as Rovers turned in some beautiful football but sadly couldn’t finish.

Dave Bullough gave Foundry a half time lead and then Craig Hardman made it 2-0. As time ran out Richard Doran finally got the shot-shy Rovers on the scoresheet.

The Sam Davenport Cup Final produced a game of thrills and spills as Aspull beat rivals Belair 4-2.

Their hero was man of the match Scot Adamson who claimed a hat-trick. Belair were reduced to ten men midway through the second half but did not affect the result as Aspull powered to victory before a large crowd at Ashton Athletic.

Farnworth Town are the toast of the League as they narrowly defeated Shaftesbury Youth Club from Chester 1-0 to reach the Northern Cup Final thanks to a superb 30-yard free-kick from Joe Morton.

There was a surprise in the Laithwaite Shield quarter-finals as Leigh Legion from Division Two followed their memorable win over Premier League Shevington by beating Division One neighbours AFC Tyldesley 3-1, while elsewhere in Leigh home side Phoenix lost out as Luis Eden’s penalty saw Newburgh Harrock United march into the last four.

In Garswood Trophies Premier Division, Hindley Town completed their programme by coming from a goal down to beat AFC Scholes 3-1. Scott Peach put the home side ahead. As half time approached Dave Hodgson levelled the scores, but in the second half Town took full control and further goals from Craig Naylor and Kieron Wright saw them home.

Relegation battlers Bickerstaffe and Pemberton met at Hall Lane with Bickerstaffe winning 4-1. Martin Forshaw got two and Will Lamb and Steve Brookes got one apiece, while Ian Atherton replied for the losers.

Ince Central and Shevington shared eight goals as Ian Togher, Carl Jones, Jamie Bennett and Le Collier all found the net for Ince, while Paul Santus, Jack McKay, Rick Alker and Chris Buchanan netted for Shevington.

In Division One struggling Ormskirk thrashed high-riding Atherton Royal 5-2 to ease their relegation fears, while Goose Green United blitzed Shevington Res 6-0.

In Division Two Bickerstaffe Res also knocked in a round half dozen as they slammed Cherrybrook 6-1 away from home. Up Holland picked up a 3-2 victory art Farnworth Res, with Boars Head doing the same at Hindley Town Res.

The only game in Autus Web Design Division Three saw champions Foundry Res lose 4-3 to lowly Black Bull.