Wigan amateur league

Action from the Shevington FC v Newburgh Harrock United game
Action from the Shevington FC v Newburgh Harrock United game

THE Laithwaite Shield final will feature Premier Division Standish St Wilf’s and Division Two outfit Leigh Legion.

Standish comfortably defeated Ince Central 4-1 while Legion caused a sensation by beating another Premier side, Newburgh Harrock United, 3-1.

Meanwhile, the Mike Taylor Cup final was a splendid affair as Atherton George came from behind to beat favourites Cart and Horses 2-1.

The first chance fell to Atherton’s Ryan Davies but he fired wide after being set free by Andy Tipping.

At the other end Dwayne Kinlock went close as the game moved from end to end. Finally the deadlock was broken on 42 minutes when a brilliant through-ball from Adam Reade left Kinlock in acres of space and he made no mistake.

The second half saw the pitch get heavier but both sides still played some sparkling football.

The Atherton side went close when a shot from Tipping hit the bar and Davies helped it over the line for a deserved equaliser.

As the rain poured both sides went looking for the winner with Tipping missing an open goal as time ran out.

The game ended 1-1 and within moments of extra-time starting Atherton scored the winner as Robin Yates lobbed a ball goal wards only for Cart keeper Dan Murray to misjudge the flight and watch the ball go over his head into the net.

Both teams deserve full praise for their contribution to a fine game, as does referee Paul Ellison.

Tipping was named man of the match.

The relegation battle in the Garswood Trophies Premier Division was finally decided as Ince FC couldn’t save themselves despite a tight game at neighbours Ince Central.

Central’s Ian Gaskell scored the only goal of a game that saw five yellow cards and one red.

Bickerstaffe survived despite a 1-0 loss to champions Winstanley St Aidan’s, whose scorer was Andy Hodgkiss.

Gidlow Athletic drew 3-3 with Digmoor to save themselves.

Runners up Leigh Rangers ran out 4-2 winners at Standish St Wilf’s, while Shevington gained a 1-0 win over Newburgh (pictured).

In Division One Farnworth Town are looking favourites to clinch runners-up spot to Orrell after beating Ormskirk 4-1, while Standish St Wilf’s Res edged out Foundry 3-2.

Relegated Shevington Res couldn’t raise a team at Leigh Phoenix.

It was a joy day for Wigan Rovers Res in Division Two.

After a long painful season Rovers recorded their first win 1-0 at Farnworth Town Res.

Andy Walker claimed the all-important goal after just nine minutes, and this after Farnworth’s Nathan Coffey had missed a penalty.

Town dominated the game and even missed another penalty courtesy of Alex Goulden’s brilliant save from Tom Jones.

Rovers’ Dave Walker and Goulden were in unbeatable form and Rovers hung on for an incredible victory.

Cherrybrook slammed Leigh Legion 6-4 as Scot Unsworth and Adam Shawcross got two apiece, while Dave Whitter and a fantastic goal from David Callister, who ran from his own half leaving four players in his wake before scoring, grabbed the others.

Phil Brierley [2], Daniel France and James Dooley replied.

Springfield beat champions Belair 5-1 while Aspull, who are runners-up, came from two goals behind to draw 3-3 at Hindley Town Res.

Boars Head picked up a useful 4-1 win at Leigh Rangers Res.

There was just one game in Autus Web Design Division Three as Lowton Rams clinched third place behind Foundry Res and AH Leisure by thrashing Winstanley Warriors 6-3, with Lee Glynn, Warriors’ veteran midfielder, scoring in his final match.