Wigan Amateur League

editorial image
Share this article

HURLSTON Hall made their league debut when they hosted Winstanley Warriors in a Northgate Vehicle Hire Division Three match.

The game was superb from start to finish with Winstanley just shading the contest 1-0.

Play was end to end from the start with chances going begging at both ends with Warriors striker John Horabin the main culprit.

Tom Jones also missed a good chance for Warriors after Kieran Smith’s fabulous cross.

Hall almost took the lead after half an hour but Aled Hughes’ long range free kick was fantastically saved by keeper Ryan Price.

Hall’s Josh Hough was the best player on the pitch and made his side tick.

The second half saw a repeat of the first but on 71 minutes a needless free kick was given away and Warriors’ Dan Nicholson scored from the resultant 35 yard free kick with Hurlston keeper James Tohey failing to cover the shot.

It was now the turn of Hurlston to pile on the pressure with first Chris Craven almost finding the net and then Ben Barnes firing wide when faced with an open goal.

As time ran out the home side’s star man Hough was sent off after a serious disagreement with the referee.

AFC Waterside, also playing their first match, crashed to a 4-1 loss at Ince Central Res. Danny Park bagged two, with Marcus Cusani and Mathew Hoy both scoring for the home side. Barry Kenyon replied for the St Helens outfit.

Landgate Springs, also new to the League, lost 2-0 at home to Black Bull with Nathan Smith scoring both goals.

Skelmersdale Celtics started their League career with a 2-1 win at Billinge Community while old timers Ashton Villa are in top place after slamming Sporting Leigh 8-0 with Si Pary netting four of the Sporting goals.

Atherton George won a close game at Gidlow Res 2-0 thanks to goals from Shaun Campbell and Ryan Davies.

Garswood Trophies Premier Division Champions Winstanley St Aidens ran riot at AFC Scholes winning 8-1 and scoring all nine goals.

Jamie Harrison and Mat McCoy got hat tricks while Andy Hodgkiss and Martin Thomas added the others. Scholes’ effort was an own goal!

Digmoor came from 2-0 down to draw 2-2 at Atherton Royal, with Digmoor keeper Mattie Barnes’ fantastic 80 yard free kick an early contender for Goal of the Season.

Pemberton saw off Downall Green United 3-0, after Brian Shuker and Andy Reid put them 2-0 up and then Peter Atherton made it 3-0 from the spot while United missed a penalty.

Standish St Wilfs won 4-2 at Bickerstaffe with Dave Johnson grabbing two.

Mat Mahoney claimed a hat trick as Gidlow Athletic beat Hindley Town 5-3.

Shevington and Ince Central cancelled themselves out in a 1-1 draw as Paul Santus netted for the home side and Rhys Lloyd-Jones did the same for Central.

In the crystalleisurewear.co.uk Division One Leigh Phoenix thrashed neighbours Foundry 9-1 with debutant Daryl Cope claiming four of them,

AFC Tyldesley also had a great start with a 4-1 home win over Winstanley Res as Gary Renshaw, Kiel Brennan, Chris Sutton and Peter Readwin all netted with Ian Espinoza replying.

Belair beat St Judes 4-2 as Martin Corry scored two. Paul Veall and Neil Davies got one each while Chris Pilling netted both the Saint’s goals. Ormskirk came from 2-0 down to defeat Goose Green United 3-2.

Adam Stanley put United 2-0 up but Kevin McGlinchey with two and Jay Harvey gave Ormskirk the points.

Wigan Rovers and Aspull drew 1-1 with Derek Booth’s goal cancelled out by Scott Adamson while Ince won 2-1 at Standish St Wilfs Res.

In the North West Gas and Solar Heating Division Two AH Leisure got off to a flying start demolishing Wigan Rovers Res 8-0 with Tom Rabbit netting four, Phil Hulme two and Billy McGraw and Terry Butler one each.

Digmoor Res and Punchbowl drew 1-1. Alex Stoddern the home scorer and Chris Anderson netting for the Atherton.

Boars Head won 3-1 at Pemberton Res while it was honours even at Hindley Town Res where visitors Cart and Horses forced a 2-2 draw.

Leigh Rangers Res and Up Holland also drew 2-2 with Ryan Cuff and Chad Drake netting for Rangers and Andy Hall and Lewis Toil replying.

There was yet another 2-2 score line this time between Lowton Rams and Bickerstaffe Res.