Wigan Amateur League

editorial image
Share this article

IT was the second round of divisional cup games and one of the most attractive was the clash between Digmoor and Pemberton in the Keith and Margaret Whitehead Cup.

At the end of the 90 minutes Digmoor had prevailed 2-0 but they will feel mighty lucky.

Pemberton bossed the first half but found keeper Mattie Carter in quite sensational form.

The second half saw Digmoor go a goal up when Steve Tomaselli let fly from 30 yards to give his side a fortunate lead.

Carter continued to be unbeatable but needed the help of the woodwork which Pemberton hit three times. As time ran out on a frustrating day for the visitors Tomaselli helped himself to a second goal to take into next week’s second leg.

Bickerstaffe will take a handy four goal lead to Atherton as they beat Royal 5-1 with Mike Owen getting a couple of their goals while Newburgh Harrock United edged out AFC Scholes 2-0.

In a Garswood Trophies Premier Division match Winstanley St Aidans thrashed Leigh Rangers 6-2 with skipper Martin Thomas claiming four.

The Sam Davenport Cup saw AH Leisure crash to a 4-1 defeat to Lowton Rams, while Punchbowl beat Hindley Town Res 4-0.

The Mike Taylor Cup Second Round saw a thriller at Fosters when Ince Central Res drew 3-3 with Ashton Villa as Steve Shirley, Andy Moseley and Jonnie Bertrand all found the net with Gaz Smith, David Roche and Marc Cash scoring for Villa.

In a second leg tie Black Bull stormed to a 8-5 win to knock holders Atherton George out with an 11-9 aggregate score.

Martin Foster hit four, Nathan Smith three and Danny Foster the other.

In a Northgate Vehicle Hire Division Three contest Billinge Community drew 3-3 with Hurlston Hall.

James Edgar, Ant Ayre and Lee Grundy helped Billinge to a 3-2 half-time lead.

In Crystaleisurewear.co.uk Division One title hopefuls Aspull crashed 3-2 at home to Cherrybrook with Stu Johnson grabbing two.

AFC Tyldesley got a welcome 4-1 win over Goose Green United as Keil Brennan with two, Steve Raftrey and a Lee Sherrington own goal while Callum Broad netted for United.

Ince demolished Ormskirk 6-1 with two each from Chris Demings and Paul Mawdsley.

In a goal feast at the Convent Leigh Phoenix edged out Standish St Wilfs Res 5-4 with leading scorer Daryl Cope getting another hat-trick.

In the Northern Cup Up Holland crashed out 7-4 after extra time to Liverpool outfit Quarry Bank Old Boys, this despite Ben Barnes’ impressive hat trick.

The two other games involving Wigan Rovers and Winstanley Res were postponed. Rovers have been awarded the tie as Pinewood could not raise a team.


IN the Premier Division, Highfield Grange’s Mark Meehan was their hero as he scored all three goals in a 3-2 win against North Star in an entertaining game.

Twice North Star equalised through goals by Ant Gurny and James Fagan but they couldn’t get a third equaliser.

Halsall were 6-0 winners against Golborne Parkside with Dave Mawsdley (2), Mathew Ashcroft, Keiron Wray, Adam Styler and John Crosbie on target.

Leigh Centurians moved off the bottom after winning by 2-1 against Wigan Cosmos leaving Horwich St Mary’s in bottom position.

In Division One, Up Holland came into form with a bang after beating Marus Bridge 6-2.

They led 3-0 and 6-1 with Marus Bridge scoring through Scot Priestley and Rob Tyrer.

Matt Gaskell (2), Adam Nirlas, Steve Oakley, Paul Mawdsley and Craig Manning were on target for Up Holland.

Whitley and Orrell Sorronto shared eight goals.

In Division Two, a late goal by sub Nick Hill saw Goose Green res beat fourth placed Olympic Athletic 4-3.

Damon Hurst, Mike Aspey and Mark Kennedy kept putting Goose Green ahead but Craig Nelson, Dave Williams and Wayne Sutton pegged them back for Olympic.

Second placed Garswood Unitd ran out 3-0 winners against Halsall Res with Dave Hughes, Brian Hatton and Danny Clark on target.

A first half goal by Stu Cunliffe was enough for Bryn Park to win 1-0 against Standish Paramedics.

Up Holland res and Orwell fought out an entertaining 0-0 draw.

Ince Utd were 3-1 winners against Chequer Lane with Darren Mears, Paul Mears and Dale Roby on target for Ince Utd, Chequer Lane had earlier equalised through an own goal.

In the Davenport Millenium Cup semi-final, Forefield Rangers won a scrappy affair against Parklands 1-0.

They will play Garswood United in the final on Tuesday, April 30 at Ashton Athletic’s ground with a 7pm K.O.

In Divsision Three, Adam Morris FC have opened up a five-point lead at the top of the league after coming from behind to beat Martland Mill 3-2.

An own goal by Scot Forshaw gave fourth placed Martland Mill a 1-0 second half lead.

Craig Naylor equalised but a Les Sherman penalty in the 80th minute put Martland Mill back in front, Chris Bullock equalised again though in the 88th minute before Naylor scored his second goal to give Adam Morris the point with virtually the last kick of the match.

Ormskirk Royals moved up to third place after beating 2nd placed St Helens round 5-2.

Dave Haynes with a break put Ormskirk 2-0 up but then Dan Oakey did the same for the Saints to tie up the score.

Further goals by Andy Knott, Chris Charleton and Zak Holcrfot saw the Royals home.

Mitch FC played host to AFC Rainford and won 3-2.

Dean Burgum, Matty Davies and Dave Crawford put Mitch 3-0 up before a late fight back saw Danny Bancroft and Jonathon Williams score for Rainford.

In the under-18s, Highfield Grange moved nine points clear at the top after an 8-1 victory over third placed Redgate Rovers.

Tom Jackson (3), Ben Conway and Josh Hayes each with a brace and Aaron Roberts were on target for Highfield Grange.