Wigan Amateur League

editorial image
Share this article

DIVISION One outfit Foundry entertained Standish St Wilfs Res in a delayed Laithwaite Shield game. In a truly one sided contest the home side ran riot beating their opponents 7-1.

In a truly one sided contest the home side ran riot beating their opponents 7-1.

Foundry dominated from the start and their two strikers Dave Bullough and Lee Fiendley had a field day.

They led 4-0 at the break and cruised into the next round with Bullough claiming four and Fiendley thre.

It was Whitehead Cup action in the Premier Division.

Digmoor head into the next round despite losing at Pemberton to a solitary Liam Atherton goal. The Skelmersdale side won 2-1 on aggregate.

AFC Scholes edged a 1-0 win at Newburgh Harrock United thanks to a Paddy Latham effort but Newburgh sneak through 2-1.

Gidlow Athletic lost narrowly 1-0 at home to Hindley Town in a delayed first leg thanks to Craig Naylor’s goal.

The Sam Davenport Cup for Second Division sides saw Punchbowl thrash Hindley Town Res 6-3 to reach their very first Semi Final 10-3 on aggregate.

Lowton Rams cruised into the semi finals with a 6-1 defeat of AH Leisure with goals from Andy Hughes who got two, Danny Davies, Ian Knowles, Jordan Pollock and Ant Aspinall with Paul Gaskell replying. In a delayed first leg Digmoor Res drew 2-2 with leaders Boars Head.

The Mike Taylor Cup for Division Three teams had a blinder between Ashton Villa and Ince Central Res with Villa winning 3-2 to qualify for the last four 6-5 on aggregate.

Dave Griffiths contributed a hat-trick.

On the league front Shevington beat Standish St Wilfs in their Garswood Premier Division derby game 2-0 with goals from Chris Buchanan and Danny Priest.

In Crystalleisurewear.co.uk Division One leaders Belair just got the better of bottom club Ormskirk in a goal feast which Belair won 7-5 with Liam Duffy claiming two of them.

Aspull drew 2-2 with Leigh Phoenix, James Smith gave Aspull the lead but two goals from Darryl Cope saw Phoenix edge ahead before Smith pulled out a late leveller.

AFC Tyldesley thrashed Cherrybrook 7-1 while Ince moved into second place with a 5-3 victory at Goose Green United with Chris Demings scoring twice, Paul Mawdsley, Mark Stephens and Phil Bushell also netting while Callum Broad, Dan Sherman and Dave Mason junior did the business for United.

St Judes’ good form continued with a 3-1 win at Wigan Rovers as Kieron Lee, Paul Pilling and Craig Scriven all found the net with Andy Wilson notching Rover’s consolation.

Winstanley Res edged out Leigh Legion 2-1.

In North West Gas and Solar Heating Division Two Up Holland beat Wigan Rovers Res 2-0 courtesy of goals from Liam Morrison and Ben Barnes.


ASHTON TOWN enjoyed back-to-back victories over the Easter weekend taking them up to fourth in Division One, starting with a 1-0 victory at Holker Old Boys on Saturday.

On paper, it was a fixture that looked to guarantee a yield of three points, as the opposition, were in the unwanted position of propping up the whole division.

In truth though, Town knew that the two hour long journey into the Cumbrian wilderness would prove to be anything but easy.

Ashton kicked off playing down the dramatic slope and it looked as though they had taken a 13th minute lead, when Michael Boyle rolled the ball across the area for Sean Robinson to tap in.

The raised flag of the linesman cut short any celebrations though, and with hardly any protest from the visiting players it was accepted to be the correct decision.

The home side were slowly but surely getting into the game and they very nearly took the lead, when Bradley Hubbold turned Scott Baker to unleash a wicked shot, that brought out a magnificent spilt second reaction save from Nathan Brabin.

The danger Michael Boyle was creating down the Ashton Town left hand side was soon about to pay dividends.

He took control of the ball and drove past the tormented James Bonner to the by-line, before floating the ball towards the back post for the incoming and unmarked Sean Robinson to smash home with a thunderous 26th minute volley.

Then in the 93rd minute came a late scare. A curling Hubbold free kick was heading towards the top corner, but Nathan Brabin denied him with a tremendous save. Town held on for an ugly but important victory.

They doubled their Easter haul on Monday too.

A fantastic Phil Davies hat-trick lit up Edge Green Street, when Eccleshall came to town.

Ashton took the game 4-3, their other goal coming from Bradley Smart who opened the scoring.

It was a nervy final few minutes for the home side as Eccleshall pushed for an equaliser but Ashton held on to keep alive their promotion hopes.

Meanwhile, neighbours Ashton Athletic’s Premier Division season has seen upheaval and turmoil,with the resignation early in the season of their manager.

The fight is on to keep Athletic in the top flight of the North West Counties League and with only a handful of games remaining, every point is up for grabs.

However things have not been all gloomy as an introduction into the highly rated Lancashire Galaxy League by the Brocsteeds Park club has proved.

The league, which can boast the inclusion of Kendal Town,Witton Albion and Curzon Ashton, has seen Ashton Athletic enter their own development squad playing at venues and a level never before encountered by the young players in the team.

The which currently stands fourth in the table and have come up with sides who can afford to pay their players around £100 per game just for turning out , while the young lions of Ashton “just want to play”.

The squad has had some great results too.

There was no game for Athletic’s first team at the weekend as they lie a point adrift of safety behind St Helens Town and Squires Gate, who both have 27 points.

They do have two games in hand to their rivals though and with Bacup Borough and Silsden not too far above them, safety is well within their reach.

Elswhere in the Premier Division, Wigan Robin Park travelled to Stockport Sports but came away with a 3-1 defeat. Ryan Small had equalised for the Robins after Stockport went 1-0 up.


ORRELL Otters ran out 2-1 winners against Golborne Parkside in the Premier Division.

A goal either side of the interval by Tom Ashall and Joe Unsworth gave the Otters a 2-0 lead.

A late goal by second placed Goose Green saw them beat Wigan Cosmos 1-0.

Highfield Grange came from 1-0 down to win 4-2 against Halsall.

In Division Once, St Cuthbert’s slumped to a 3-0 defeat at Digmoor.

Horwich St Mary’s Res suffered the same scoreline against Knowsley South, while Whitley were thumped 7-1 by Leigh Genesis.

Orrell Sorrento visited Up Holland Rangers and came away with the points in a 5-0 win.

Academy Sports just edged out Ashton Villa 3-2 with Andy Gower scoring twice.

Division Two leaders Goose Green Reserves came from 2-0 down to beat Parklands 3-2.

Aspull Res moved up to third after a 5-2 win against Orwell as Olympic were beaten 3-1 by Forefield Rangers.

Chequer Lane visited local rivals Up Holland Res and won 3-1, while Ince Utd won 1-0 at Bryn Park.

Hindley Green Spinners visited Martland Mill and won 3-2.

Adam Morris FC moved eight points clear at the top after a 3-2 win against Wargrave Rovers. Craig Naylor strick a hat-trick for Adam Morris with Tony Harrison hitting a brace for Wargrave.

St Cuthbert’s Res ran out 4-2 winners against Leigh Rovers with Jordan Atherton and Shaun Forshaw each scoring a brace.

Stu Aaron and Jordan Lawley repled for Leigh Rovers.

In the under-18s Division a second half goal by Archie McLuskey gave Billinge a narrow 1-0 win against Redgate Rovers.

Leaders Highfield Grange were 7-2 winners at Golborne Sports with hat-tricks from Ben Conway and Tom Jackson.

Scot Barrett scored the other, Adam Newsome and Oliver Hibbert replied for Golborne Sports.

Ashton Town just held out against Ashton Athletic and won 3-2.

Charlie Pimblett, Sam Robinson and Sam Williams gave Town a 3-0 lead. Alex Faval and Rob Thomas pulled goals back for Athletic.

Aspull came from 1-0 down to beat Penlake 5-2 to go through to the final of the Bill Hayes Trophy, they will play North Star on May 7 at Ashton Athletic’s ground at 7pm.

Bill Tierney put Penlake ahead but goals by Neil Berry (2), Dean Gaster, Scot Adamson and Danny Edmundson gave Aspull a 5-1 lead. A late strike by Darryl Hale was just a consolation for Penlake.