Could the NRL really restart without the New Zealand Warriors?

Blake Green is keeping his fingers crossed the NRL doesn't restart without the New Zealand Warriors.

Monday, 6th April 2020, 10:09 am
Updated Monday, 6th April 2020, 11:26 am
Blake Green in action for the Warriors

The competition's chief executive, Todd Greenburg, has confirmed they could resume without the Auckland-based outfit if travel restrictions prevent them leaving for Australia, and vice versa.

Earlier this year, the Warriors were stranded in Australia and played a 'home' game in Queensland when strict quarantine rules were introduced.

The NRL is still targeting a return to action on June 1.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

“We could play without them but we don’t want to,” NRL CEO Todd Greenberg told the Sydney Morning Herald.

“We’ll be doing everything possible to ensure the season is played in its full capacity with all teams, and that includes the Warriors.

“That’s for two reasons. One, we want the competition to be pure. But two, to genuinely reflect the sacrifices they made earlier in the year.”

New Zealand have tougher lockdown measures than Australia and are scheduled to finish on April 23, but the government hasn’t ruled out extending them.

Former Wigan stand-off Green was unaware of the option when he appeared on Fox League Live.

"To be honest, that’s the first I heard of it today,” said Green, who spent two years at the Warriors and won the double in 2013.

“We haven’t had any dialogue with our footy club about that even being a possibility.

“I’ve been watching the news every day and Jacinda Ardern the New Zealand Prime Minister has been on every day giving updates. She’s been fantastic, to be honest.

“It looks like they’ve got a hold on things. I think there’s every chance — we’re two weeks into a four week lockdown — that could be it.

“It’s not going to go back to complete normal but I’m hoping that (travel restrictions) are a relaxed little bit more and we’ll be able to get over and get amongst it straight away.”

A message from the Editorial Director, Gillian Parkinson:

Thank you for reading this story on our website.

But I also have an urgent plea to make of you.

In order for us to continue to provide high quality local news on this free-to-read site and in print, please purchase a copy of our newspaper as well.

With the coronavirus lockdown having a major impact on our town centres and many of our valued advertisers - and consequently the advertising that we receive - we are more reliant than ever on you buying a copy when you pop out for your essential shop or subscribing for delivery.

Our journalists are highly trained by the National Council for the Training of Journalists (NCTJ) and our content is independently regulated by IPSO to some of the most rigorous standards anywhere in the world. Our content is universally trusted - as all independent research proves.

As Baroness Barran said in a House of Lords debate this week on the importance of journalists: "Not only are they a trusted source of facts, but they will have a role to play in rallying communities and getting the message across about how we can keep ourselves and our families safe, and protect our NHS. Undoubtedly, they have a critical role."

But being your eyes and ears comes at a price. So we need your support more than ever to buy our newspapers during this crisis. In return we will continue to forensically cover the local news - not only the impact of the virus but all the positive and uplifting news happening in these dark days.

We thank all our readers and advertisers for their understanding and support - and we wish YOU all the best in the coming weeks. Keep safe, and follow the Government advice. Thank you.

HOW TO SUBSCRIBE: You can subscribe for delivery by contacting us at [email protected] or calling us on 0330 4033004 for details of a participating newsagent near you.