New deal on the cards for Wigan Warriors prop Romain Navarrete

Shaun Wane has said he's seen enough from Romain Navarrete to convince him to offer the French forward a new deal.

Monday, 23rd April 2018, 7:30 am
Romain Navarrete
Romain Navarrete

Navarrete is out of contract at the end of the season, but has impressed the coach this year after a turbulent first campaign with the Warriors last term which saw him return to Catalans on loan.

But since deciding to return to Wigan, the France international has impressed fans with his performances, and Wane with his work ethic.

“He’s done it. He’s proved to me,” Wane said when asked how far Navarrete was from securing a deal.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

“His attitude… he’s been like a different person. He understands now what it is and what he needs to be a Wigan player.

“We are very different to Catalans and I don’t mean that in a negative way - they have a different outlook on things, but he gets it.”

Wane said earlier this year Navarrete took ‘the toughest option’ in coming back to Wigan to prove himself.

And the way the 23-year-old has improved has persuaded Wane to speak to rugby director Kris Radlinski about a new deal for the prop.

“I sat down with him at the start of the year with his agent and he said ‘the penny’s dropped, I understand now’. And he has been absolutely perfect,” said Wane.

“The way he’s trained, the intensity he’s shown in the gym, in his skills, in the meeting room, he’s done everything I want.

“I can see him playing a massive part in the season and how we’re going to finish.

“I’ve spoken to him and to Rads so he knows where we’re at with all our players.”