No Super League return for Toronto
Toronto have accepted the decision of Super League clubs to reject their application to be re-admitted to the competition in 2021.
The Canadian club withdrew from their inaugural season in the top flight in July, with owner David Argyle citing financial problems caused by the coronavirus pandemic, but expressed the hope that they would return next year under new ownership.
However, a meeting of the Super League board on Monday rejected their submission by a vote of 8-4 with one abstention.
"We're naturally disappointed," said Wolfpack chairman and chief executive Bob Hunter, who received the news via a phone call from Super League executive chairman Robert Elstone.
"I thought we put a pretty good submission together.
"I think at the end of the day, there were a few different questions that probably didn't get answered, so disappointed but understood."
Toronto were formed in 2016 by Canadian entrepreneur Eric Perez and, after starting out in League 1, won promotion twice in three years to claim their place in Super League.
They played in front of crowds of 9,000 in their Championship season but hopes of capitalising on the signing of Sonny Bill Williams for 2020 were scuppered by an inability to play any games in Toronto.
Toronto businessman Carlo LiVolsi, the club's prospective new owner who had made a pledge to pay five months of unpaid wages to the players, made an online presentation to the club representatives which failed to win over the waverers.
LiVolsi had said in advance of the meeting that it was "Super League or bust" and Hunter confirmed the prospective new owner had no interest in rejoining either League 1 or the Championship.
Asked if there was any option to appeal against the decision, Hunter said: "I don't think so.
"The only person who could decide at this point in time would be David (Argyle) and I just don't think that David right now still may have the passion or the resources to take it.
"I'll be speaking to him shortly.
"We could certainly entertain a new owner but we're definitely out of Super League in 2021.
"Whether we re-apply to the RFL going forward, I can't really say, it's just too early."
Leeds were one of three clubs to support the Wolfpack case, along with the Rugby Football League, whose single vote was cancelled out by that of Super League's executive chairman Robert Elstone, a known sceptic of the Canadian club.
Super League must now decide whether to run with 11 clubs in 2021 or find a 12th member.
There would be no shortage of candidates if Super League goes for the second option, with Featherstone and London Broncos previously offering to take Toronto's place in 2020.
Toulouse, York and Leigh are other Championship clubs with Super League aspirations while Bradford could also come under consideration.
Special offer: Get 15% off our digital sports subscription - read unlimited Wigan Athletic and Wigan Warriors stories for less than 60p a week! Click here