NRL-target Williams will '100 per cent' be at Wigan Warriors next year
George Williams believes he will '100 per cent' be at Wigan next season.
His future has been the subject of fresh debate with Newcastle Knights among the Australian outfits interested in him.
And that speculation was fuelled by an interview which appeared on the NRL website last Friday, in which he admitted it would be a “dream” to move Down Under.
Williams, though, yesterday moved to clarify his stance. While he does want to test himself in Australia down the track, he thinks he was “misunderstood” about when he intends to make the switch.
“It’s something I always dreamt to do and that’s what I was expressing,” said Williams at the club’s training ground.
“It wasn’t that I want to go now and leave Wigan now. I think I got misunderstood a little bit.
“It is my dream to go and do that, somewhere later on in my career.
“I did say what I (was quoted as being) said, but... it could be two years down the line and that was missing a bit.”
Warriors chairman Ian Lenagan last week revealed at least three NRL clubs were interested in signing Williams, but stressed he did not want to lose the England ace.
The stand-off has two years - plus an option - to run on his marquee deal, which he was offered to stave off interest from Australian and Super League clubs.
Asked whether he thinks he will be at Wigan next season, Williams replied: “Yeah, 100 per cent, yeah.”
Adrian Lam, interim coach for next season, thinks Williams will benefit more from his appointment than any other player next season.
Williams says their focus is on ensuring they maintain their place near the Super League summit over the next six games before the semi-final.
“My firs focus is getting the send-off for Waney and Sam and Batty and all the players moving on,” he said.
“Saints have been the benchmark, no denying that but we’re travelling alright.
“Second is pretty good, we need to maintain that and get a home semi.
“It’s going to be a tough ask with so many top teams but second is the goal.”
They play at Catalans on Saturday a week before the French club’s involvement in the Challenge Cup Final at Wembley.
“We’re staying over for a few days and so it makes it a nice trip, especially if we get the win,” he added.
Wane will name is 19-man squad today and is still hoping Gabe Hamlin and Willie Isa shake off minor injuries to play.
Captain Sean O’Loughlin and centre Oliver Gildart are eyeing comebacks in the match against St Helens two weeks later – which is shaping as Dom Manfredi’s most likely comeback date.
Wane had said earlier this week that the winger had a “chance” to face the Dragons following a comeback at reserve level.
But he thinks he will benefit from extra training sessions over the next few days before unleashing him back on Super League.