STUART Fielden’s 18-month injury hell is over.
The prop will play his first match of the year tonight as he makes his return in Wigan’s Under-20s side.
And coach Shaun Wane can’t wait to see him back in action after a nightmare run of luck.
Wane said: “Stu will definitely play, I’m looking forward to seeing him.
“He’s had a real tough run but I have to give him credit, he has worked really hard to get back and the lads can’t wait to see him back.”
Fielden – in the side to face Salford’s second-string at Orrell’s Edge Hall Road in Thursday night’s game (kick-off 7pm) – last figured for the Warriors in February, 2011.
He was sidelined initially by a knee problem, and then injured his pectoral while on the comeback trail.
To add to his misery, as he was nearing a return from that injury he discovered he needed further surgery on his knee. But the 32-year-old is now back fit and Wane is hoping he can play a part in their surge towards the play-offs.
He said: “If he comes through okay and he plays well, I’ll pick him. He’s a big, strong body and he’s got a wealth of experience.”
The former Great Britain Test enforcer will be keen to impress – he is out of contract at the end of this season.
Welsh prop Ben Flower may also figure for the Under-20s but winger Pat Richards – fit after a knee op’ – is unlikely to play, with Wane satisfied he is ready for a Super League return against Salford next Monday night.
WIGAN target Blake Green has reportedly told his Hull KR team-mates he is leaving Craven Park.
PICTURED ABOVE: Sam Tomkins collecting his Sky Sports-Irn Bru try of the month award from ex-GB captain Paul Sculthorpe for his effort against Wakefield last month. He split £200 proceeds to Joining Jack and Wigan Infirmary’s special care baby unit.