Goulding: KO had me worried

Darrell Goulding in action against Castleford before he was knocked out
Darrell Goulding in action against Castleford before he was knocked out
Share this article

DARRELL Goulding has spoken of his “panic” after waking to see a cluster of medics and physios on the DW Stadium pitch last Friday night.

The centre was knocked out during an innocuous first-half tackle on Castleford’s Nick Youngquest. The action was held up for seven minutes as he was treated on the pitch, before being stretchered off in front of 14,000 concerned fans with an oxygen mask over his head.

Thankfully he escaped major injury, with a dusty head and some misplaced teeth the only damage, but he feared the worst for a few moments.

He told the Evening Post: “I was out cold so I had no idea what was going on.

“Then when I came around I was panicking, there were all these faces around me, and they were moving me on to a stretcher and I didn’t know what was happening.

“The physio said I wasn’t breathing properly and I had the mask on. But once I found out there was nothing wrong with my neck, I was relieved. They did the tests and there’s no real damage – nothing a visit to the dentist won’t sort out. I was just gutted that I had to be stretchered off!”

Aussie Youngquest – who sent Goulding his best wishes – had a precautionary injection to avoid infection because of a bite-mark on his knee.

Academy-product Goulding – who has been in outstanding form in the right centre position this season – has been ordered to rest for two days and won’t know until later this week whether he will be fit to face Hull FC in Friday’s Big One 4.

“I’ll start running on Wednesday and then I’ll have to take a head (cognitive) test, so I’ll have to see,” he added. “I’d like to play against Hull, but either way I’ll definitely be back to face Warrington the week after.”

WIGAN will discover today whether the RFL plans to take any action over an alleged biting incident during the first-half of Friday’s 40-16 win against the Tigers. It was placed on report by referee George Stokes though it was unclear who may have been involved.

WIGAN’S Ryan Hampshire scored 26 points as England Academy cruised to a comprehensive 42-18 victory over Parramatta Juniors at Cabramatta Stadium.

Hampshire scored a hat-trick of tries – with further scores from James Duckworth, Ben Currie, John Ford and Warrior Joe Burgess – and added all seven conversions. It followed their midweek 28-18 win against New South Wales juniors. The England academy – including four other Warriors Connor Farrell, George Williams, Lewis Tiernay and Ryan Sutton – now face the Australian Schoolboys in two Tests.