THE deal to bring Blake Green to Wigan is all but done.
Both Hull KR and the Warriors refused to be drawn on the intensifying speculation yesterday.
But the Evening Post understands talks are at an advanced stage, a transfer fee has been agreed and – barring any last-minute hitches – the Australian stand-off (pictured) will move to the Warriors for next season.
Green emerged earlier this week as Shaun Wane’s No.1 target to replace Australia-bound Brett Finch. The 25-year-old has two years remaining on his deal at Craven Park but it is understood that a settlement figure has been agreed between the two outfits.
Both camps were remaining tight-lipped yesterday about the link.
But their silence only fanned the flames, with a senior source confirming the move is virtually complete.
Asked about Green at yesterday’s press conference, Wane said: “I’d rather not talk about that.”
And 120 miles away, Rovers coach Craig Sandercock was also giving little away.
“I said all season long I don’t like commenting on speculation,” he said.
Wane has carried out an exhaustive search in seeking a new stand-off for next year.
And after deciding against moves for Castleford’s Rangi Chase and St George-Illawarra duo Ben Hornby and Jamie Soward, it appears Green is his man.
The former Australian Schoolboys international played for Cronulla and Canterbury in the NRL and, while not a Box Office recruit, he is a shrewd operator who has been a huge success in a mid-placed side.
Wigan fans will get a chance to see him in action on September 2 when they travel to Craven Park for their penultimate Super League match of the regular season.
Wane said yesterday that Thomas Leuluai – out since injuring his knee playing for the Exiles – could return to action in that match, while winger Pat Richards is on course to face Salford next Monday.
n Stuart Fielden ended his 18-month injury exile when he starred for Warriors Under-20s in a 72-16 win against Salford at Orrell last night.
Fellow prop Paul Prescott left the action with an injury.
n Wigan prop Dom Crosby is one of 10 players charged by the RFL for his part in a brawl while on dual registration for South Wales against Rochdale last Sunday.