Hock up for Saints test

Share this article

GARETH Hock reflected on a bruising victory at Hull – and reckons it was the perfect way for Wigan to prepare for Saturday’s Carnegie Challenge Cup semi-final against St Helens at the HJ Stadium.

The former Test forward, recently back in the fold after a two-year drugs ban, continued his comeback with a solid effort off the bench which surely cemented his place in the 17 for the weekend.

Hock had to do it the hard way at the KC and has the scars to prove it – having had several stitches inserted into an ugly gash above his left eye following a nasty clash.

But he reckons the trip to Hull and back will stand Wigan in good stead when they lock horns with old enemy for the chance to return to Wembley for the first time in 13 years.

“I took a bang to the eye but I’ll be fine for the weekend,” Hock told the Evening Post.

“It’ll take more than that to keep me out of a derby game – if selected of course.

“Overall, it was a very tough win. Hull are coming on a lot and they made it very tough for us.

“There were more than a few bumps and bruises – I think about five of us ended up having stitches – but we’re all okay and ready to play against Saints.

“It’ll be a big, big game coming up next week, and the Hull game was ideal preparation for that.”

WIGAN have issued a reminder to any fans without tickets for Saturday’s Challenge Cup semi-final to move quickly to avoid disappointment.

Wigan’s allocation of standing tickets have now sold out, while there is only limited availability in the East Stand seating (behind the posts).

Tickets can be purchased in person from the DW Stadium ticket office or by calling the ticket office hotline on 0871 22 66 552.

WIGAN’S junior sides had mixed fortunes against their Hull counterparts at the weekend.

The Under-20s went down 28-26 in a cracker of a contest, tries from Blake Mahovic (2), Jamie Acton, Ryan King and Jack Murphy not be quite enough.

However, there was joy for the Under-18s, who won 24-20 at the Co-operative Community Stadium thanks to touchdowns from Lewis Tierney, Greg Burke, Connor Farrell and Rob Lever.