Home truths were key for Warriors win

Shaun Wane
Shaun Wane

SHAUN Wane admitted a half-time dose of home truths was the secret behind Wigan’s battling 32-18 victory at Huddersfield.

The Warriors recorded only a second away win of the campaign to cement third spot in the Super League table.

Having been fortunate to go into the break level at 12-12, Wigan cut loose in the second stanza to open up a five-point buffer between themselves and the fourth-placed Giants.

“We were far from being at our best, but we had a chat at half-time about where needed to improve,” acknowledged Wane.

“To be fair the players knew when I got in there, they were speaking about those areas, and in the second half we were very, very good.

“I didn’t think we committed enough to our plays in the first half, but in the second half we did.

“We were up against a very, very good team, who are well coached, and who have probably the best defence in the competition.

“They’re busted, we’re busted, and to come up with that - after the Leeds game last week that took a lot out of us - was very satisfying.”

Wigan also had to overcome the distraction of a pre-match power cut that meant they were forced to get changed in the John Smith’s Stadium canteen.

“The canteen was a bit like this press room, but not as good,” chuckled Wane.

“It was a problem, one of those things, but we have a motto at Wigan – any time, any place, any where. You can’t let things like that affect us, we just got on with it.”

England second row Liam Farrell marked his return from a broken nose with two tries to put down a marker ahead of next weekend’s mouth-watering derby against St Helens.

“There are a few little technical things that he needs to improve on, but I was happy with him,” revealed Wane.

“He was desperate to play in this one to prove he was ready for next week.

“He didn’t want to be going into Friday as his first game back, and I was happy with him.” Wane also eased fears hooker Mike McIlorum could be a doubt for next week after failing to reappear off the interchange bench.

“Micky has a slight problem with his leg, but he wanted to go back on,” added Wane, who confirmed John Bateman picked up a knock to the head.

“He can handle knocks to his head can John,” he smiled.

Bateman crossed for the final Wigan try, with Josh Charnley (2) and Joe Burgess also on the mark.

It was the perfect way for Sean O’Loughlin to mark his 350th appearance for the club, with Wane admitting the win was for his skipper.

“That’s why I was so emotional at half-time, because I badly wanted to get the win for Sean, having done what he’s done for our club,” Wane recognised.

“It meant a lot to me and it obviously meant a lot to the players, judging by that second half.”