Shoulder blow for Lee after London cruise

Blake Green on the charge against Broncos
Blake Green on the charge against Broncos

WIGAN’S nine-try thrashing of London yesterday was soured by the news that Lee Mossop could be out until May.The Cumbrian enforcer left the field after 20 minutes of Sunday’s 48-18 win clutching his left shoulder.

“He’s struggling,” said Wane.“He’s dislocated his shoulder and is out for about 12 weeks I think.

”The loss of Mossop further depletes Wigan’s pack, with Paul Prescott, Epa Lauaki and Harrison Hansen also sidelined.

Wigan completed the game with youngsters Greg Burke and Dom Crosby making-up the pack but despite their promise, Wane joked he may have to look even further for cover.

“With Epalahame Lauaki, Paul Prescott and now Lee, I’ve phoned my wife and told her to get my boots ready,” he grinned.

The Warriors started brightly and bossed London to go 10-0 up after 10 minutes.But the Broncos took full advantage of referee Robert Hicks’ decision to sin bin Sam Tomkins for dissent, and found themselves with a two-point advantage in the time Tomkins was away.

Although Wane thinks the call to award a drop-out - instead of a 20 metre tap - was the wrong call, he was unhappy with how Tomkins made his point with the official.

“There’s no excuse, it won’t happen again,” said Wane. “It was the wrong call but that happens in games. Referees don’t make errors on purpose, and Sam can’t do that.”

As Wigan fought to re-establish their command of the game, however, Wane was adamant he was never worried – even when London led 18-16 shortly before the break.

“I was mad - but I expected a backlash because they got pumped last week against Wakefield 28-0 and we’ve been speaking about it all week,” he said.

“If that would’ve happened to us there would be a change of attitude and that’s what we expected from London and that’s what we got.

“You couple that with our attack not being as fluent, a couple of poor defensive reads and you’re under pressure – that’s where we found ourselves.”

The Warriors came out a different side in the second half though and controlled the flow of the game with authority, running in five tries without reply.“We fixed it at half time. To come out and nil them in the second half and to beat a Super League team by 30 points it was a good effort,” said Wane.

Wigan’s Under-20s went down 20-18 to London at Orrell on Saturday. The young Warriors trailed 18-0 at one stage but fought back to level the scores, before the Broncos hit a winning penalty.