Wane hopeful of Richards’ return

Pat Richards at Hull
Pat Richards at Hull
Share this article

SHAUN Wane will today discover the extent of Pat Richards’ knee injury which took the shine off yesterday’s mauling of Hull FC.

Winger Richards marked his return from a month on the sidelines by grabbing a hat-trick of tries - and booting seven goals - in Wigan’s 56-12 triumph at the KC Stadium.

But he was helped off the pitch late in the game with a cartilage tear, and Wane was keeping his fingers crossed it was not serious.

Wane said: “He’s got a problem with his knee.

“It’s not as bad as we thought, but we think it’s just a bit of a cartilage tear so it shouldn’t be too bad. He’ll have a scan but, touch wood, he’ll be okay.”

Yesterday’s victory was Wigan’s biggest in Super League this year, and kept the pressure firmly on leaders Huddersfield.

Their ball completion was almost impeccable as they raced into a 28-0 lead at half-time.

And they scored five further tries after the break, with Josh Charnley finishing the game with a double.

Wane praised hooker Mike McIlorum and the half-back pairing of Brett Finch and Thomas Leuluai, while Harrison Hansen produced a towering effort to stun the injury-hit home side.

“I’m very happy,” said Wane. “I thought we played really well.

“The conditions were poor - it was wet before we started and we had a downpour during the game, so I think overall our skill level was good.

“There was a short spell in the second half where we didn’t run as hard as we could, we were a bit soft for eight or 10 minutes, but it’s hard to concentrate for 80 minutes when you’re in front by quite a bit.

“Apart from that I was pretty happy with the result. We scored some great tries.”

Warriors take a break from Super League this weekend and turn their attentions back to the defence of their Challenge Cup.

They travel to Championship outfit Featherstone this Friday for a fifth round tie which is being televised by Sky Sports.

Rovers beat Super League side Castleford in the last round.

LEE Mossop made his return from an ankle injury as Wigan’s Under-20s drew 20-20 at Hull FC on Saturday.

Meanwhile, Warriors’ U18s destroyed their Black and Whites counterparts 44-4.

Lewis Tierney and Joe Burgess each scored two tries.