Wane to phone referee chief

SHAUN Wane will today phone referees’ boss Stuart Cummins to raise his concerns following Wigan’s 22-20 defeat against Warrington.

The Warriors coach has reviewed Friday’s match several times and last night admitted he was “unhappy” with the performance of whistle-blower Richard Silverwood.

Wigan’s coaching team have compiled a dossier of video clips for Cummins to view – thought to include the dramatic match-winning decision in the final few minutes.

The scores were locked 20-20 when Brett Hodgson kept his cool to slot over a penalty, following a dangerous tackle by Epalahame Lauaki – who was placed on report.

But TV replays confirmed initial suspicions that Hodgson took the conversion from just beyond the 40m line – several metres closer to the posts than where the infringement took place.

Considering Hodgson’s goal just scraped over the crossbar, it left a bitter taste – particularly when Lee Briers’ interception try earlier in the match came from an offside position.

Wane confirmed: “There were some decisions which I will be contacting Stuart Cummins about for clarification.”

The coach, though, stressed that he was not seeking excuses for the narrow loss – admitting Wolves counterpart Tony Smith could have questions of his own following the hugely-entertaining contest in front of more than 21,000 fans.

“There were plenty of things that we could have done to win that match,” he said.

“There are areas we need to work on and improve on, and the players are aware of that.”

Lauaki will discover today whether he will face an RFL disciplinary panel after twice being placed on report by Silverwood.

In addition to a dangerous throw, he was also cited for allegedly leading with the forearm.

Wigan travel to Salford this Friday – any suspension to Lauaki could be off-set by the likely return of Lee Mossop after two weeks out with an ankle injury.

Wane will give flyer Pat Richards until later this week to see if he can recover from a leg injury he suffered against Warrington.

The winger’s attacking edge was blunted by the setback, which prevented him from continuing as goal-kicker.

Meanwhile, half-back Sam Powell faces a spell on the sidelines after breaking his leg in that match against the Wolves’ young-guns.

Powell – a member of the full-time senior squad – is expected to be out for around six weeks.

The Under-20s lost the match at Orrell 34-24.

Australian Amos Roberts again figured in the match following his return from a knee operation.