Wane: We were unlucky not to win

Liam Forsyth scored the first of Wigan's four tries
Liam Forsyth scored the first of Wigan's four tries
Share this article

Shaun Wane felt Wigan were “unlucky” to slip to their first defeat of the year - but was proud of the effort of his depleted squad.

Wigan were 22-0 down early in the second-half, but four unanswered tries during a breathtaking finish cut Hull FC’s winning margin to just two points.

And Wane had a dig at referee Phil Bentham and his officials for ruling out three tries.

He said: “We had three tries disallowed. On Sky, there might have been two we might have got (with the video referee). The one in the far right hand corner with Tom Davies I thought that was unlucky.

“I thought we were unlucky today. Phil had his whistle (ready) for a penalty at the end of the game but changed his mind. I thought that summed his performance up.”

Wane was without 10 frontline players and lost centre Anthony Gelling and prop Ben Flower before the end of the match.

He is confident both will be fit for Friday’s trip to Leeds.

But he paid tribute to his young guns for rallying in the final half-hour.

“Against a team like Hull you have to take your chances. They’re a good team a strong team. I’m proud of our efforts; very proud,” he said.

“We had chances in the first-half. When I went at half time I showed them on the big screen chance after chance after chance, where if we pick the right pass we score…we just didn’t take them.

“The young backs were miles better. I don’t give a damn that they’ve only played a game or two. I want a certain standard and they delivered it. I thought they were very good.

“Hull are a good team so that’s what makes it even more special because we could have and should have got it.”

FC nudged ahead of Wigan into top-spot with victory, but coach Lee Radford took little satisfaction and admitted: “If that game goes on another five minutes, we get beat.

“We were running on fumes all the second-half. Some of the errors the players were making were unacceptable. I’m frustrated with the end result.”

Wigan’s reserves face St Helens at Robin Park tomorrow (Saturday), kick-off 2pm.