Warrington Wolves 17 Wigan Warriors 6

Dan Sarginson takes a run. Photo: Brian King
Dan Sarginson takes a run. Photo: Brian King

WIGAN failed to take a chance to go second in the Super League table after a disappointing loss at Warrington.

They were never ahead in an error-strewn display at the HJ Stadium as they lost on the road for the seventh time this term.

Richie Myler was first over following a moment of audacity on 12 minutes.

The scrum half dabbed a grubber kick through on Wigan’s line and hacked it on to finish off the try.

Trading sets and staying even, there were few chances until Joe Burgess flew in by the corner post from a George Williams pass on the half hour.

Referee Ben Thaler sent the decision to the video referee who deemed the winger to be in touch - but at the point Wigan looked able to strike.

Warrington had other ideas though and Gareth O’Brien added a drop-goal to his earlier conversion with three minutes until the break.

To make matters worse for Wigan, Ryan Atkins added the home side’s second try before the break - with O’Brien’s goal ensuring the Warriors would have to score three times to hit the front.

But there was more of the same after the break.

Wigan’s attack stuttered, punctuated by mistakes, and when O’Brien crashed over for a try with half an hour to go - the game started to look beyond saving for the Warriors.

The away side were given a shred of hope as the hour approached when Dom Manfredi collected a Matty Smith chip to go over. Matty Bowen was the unlikely candidate to have a shot at the conversion and was successful.

But the night belonged to Warrington. As Wigan looked for points, errors blotted their copybook - and Warrington gave their Super 8s push a needed boost.

Warrington: Russell; Ormsby, Ratchford, Atkins, Penny; O’Brien, Myler; Hill, Clark, Sims, Westwood, Philbin, Harrison. Subs: Dwyer, Asotasi, King, Wilde.

Wigan: Bowen; Manfredi, Gelling, Sarginson, Burgess; Williams, Smith; Crosby, McIlorum, Flower, Tomkins, Farrell, Sutton. Subs: Powell, Mossop, Tautai, Patrick.

Referee: Ben Thaler


Tries: Myler, Atkins, O’Brien

Goals: O’Brien 2

Drop-goal: O’Brien


Tries: Manfredi

Goals: Bowen