Wigan Warriors 13 Hull FC 12

Shaun Wane
Shaun Wane

MATTY Smith’s drop-goal 15 minutes before time proved the difference as Warriors laboured to victory over Hull FC.

With the score at 12-6, the half-back’s one-pointer served to widen the gap in a game which up to that point was lacking intensity.

But a late try from Callum Lancaster, goaled calmly by Mark Sneyd, set-up a tense finish.

Joel Tomkins opened the scoring for Wigan after nine minutes, when after a period of pressure on the Hull line Smith timed his pass well enough to create a gap for the try scorer.

Five minutes after the first try, Gareth Ellis found his way over - but Wigan were let off the hook as referee Ben Thaler ruled it out for a forward pass.

A sweeping move intended to create a chance for Joe Burgess was cut short by a knock on and Josh Charnley caused a worry when he limped off after 33 minutes without returning.

A run of penalties against Wigan gave Hull a lift upfield as the half drew to a close - but unable to create any genuine threats, the next points came from Smith’s boot when Wigan were awarded a penalty within range with four minutes until the break.

Later, a simple but well-executed move saw Dan Sarginson left just needing a neat step to register the next try with seconds to spare before the interval.

Wigan’s lack of killer instinct almost proved fatal in the second period, as their laboriously-built lead was cut by a Fetuli Talanoa try just two minutes after the restart.

Lack of chances prompted Smith to fire over a drop goal with 15 minutes to go.

But a nervous finish was ensured in the final 10 minutes as Hull closed the gap to one point.

On the Wigan line, it looked as though Danny Houghton had missed a gap, but his pass found Lancaster who finished well.

Sneyd’s touchline goal caused a tense finish - but Shaun Wane’s side held on for their first win in three league games.

Wigan Warriors: Bowen; Charnley, Gelling, Sarginson, Burgess; Powell, Smith; Sutton, McIlorum, Mossop, J Tomkins, Farrell; Patrick

Subs: Williams, Bateman, Clubb, Tautai

Hull FC: Rankin; Lancaster, Michaels, Yeaman, Talanoa; Pryce, Sneyd; Bowden, Houghton, Ellis, Hadley, Minichello; Westerman

Subs: Green, Watts, Paleaaesina, Thompson


Tries: J Tomkins, Sarginson

Goals: Smith 2 + 1 DG

Hull FC:

Tries:Talanoa, Lancaster

Goals: Sneyd 2

Half-time 12-0