Wigan Warriors 34 Catalans Dragons 0

Shaun Wane
Shaun Wane
Share this article

HAT-trick star Dom Manfredi put the crowning glory on a dominant Wigan display.

Joe Burgess also chipped in with two tries as they kept a team scoreless for the first time in 2015.

This was the Warriors’ fifth successive home win in Super League, and on this form Shaun Wane’s men will fancy their chances of stretching it to six on Thursday night when Warrington arrive at the DW Stadium.

Ryan Hampshire had an off-day with the boot - missing seven of his eight conversion attempts - but linked well with halfbacks Matty Smith and George Williams, and Anthony Gelling regularly made metres for his team-mates.

By half-time Wigan had established a deserved 16-0 lead - an advantage which would have been greater had Hampshire kicked any of his conversion attempts.

Wigan adjusted quicker to the drizzle and biting wind, and after Morgan Escare had given the home side a scare, they began assaulting the Catalans line.

From a scrumbase move, the ball was spread to Burgess, who swatted away Damien Cardace’s desperate attempt to cross for his seventh try of the year.

And after forcing another repeat set, Wigan pressed home their advantage as George Williams’ sharp pass put Dan Sarginson - sporting a strawberry blond rinse as punishment for being late for training - into space. Hampshire was again off-target with a relatively straight-forward goal attempt.

A 40-20 by Smith kept the home side on the ascendancy, and Anthony Gelling put the recalled Manfredi into space, and his predatory instincts did the rest.

With the Dragons continuing to cough up possession, Manfredi and Liam Farrell went close to scoring.

Remi Casty complained to referee Phil Bentham, having felt he had been the victim of a cannonball tackle by Ryan Sutton, but the incident went unpunished.

And on the stroke of half-time, Wigan grabbed their fourth try - and their best of the afternoon - when Joel Tomkins’ quick inside pass to Hampshire sent the full-back into space, and he unselfishly fed the supporting Gelling.

Neat work by Sarginson deep inside his own half sent Burgess soaring away down the left wing. He drew in full-back Morgan Escare to send Hampshire racing over under the sticks, for a try he converted to make it 22-0.

Manfredi then grabbed his second, blazing past makeshift-winger Willie Tonga to touch down Hampshire’s stabbed-through kick.

Burgess charged onto Farrell’s grubber to match Manfredi’s feat - only for the latter to complete his hat-trick from the restarting set, exploiting a quickly-fading Dragons defence.

Wigan: Hampshire; Manfredi, Gelling, Sarginson, Burgess; Williams, Smith; Tautai, McIlorum, Mossop, J Tomkins, Farrell, Crosby. Subs: Clubb, Patrick, L Tomkins, Sutton.

Catalans: Escare; Cardace, Whitehead, Tonga, Pala; Bosc, Dureau; Lima, Henderson, Casty, Taia, Anderson, Baitieri. Subs: Elima, Mounis, Pelissier, Garcia.

Referee: Phil Bentham

Half-time: 16-0

Attendance: 12,062

Starman: Dom Manfredi