Wigan Warriors 42 London Broncos 30

Gareth Hock scores for Wigan
Gareth Hock scores for Wigan

BRETT Finch poached two tries as Wigan got back to winning ways with an ultimately comfortable victory against London Broncos at the DW.

Shaun Wane rolled out the big-guns to ensure there was no repeat of last week’s 37-36 shock defeat by Widnes.

They had to come from behind to claim the win as London stunned the home side by taking an 18-6 lead in the opening half-hour.

But three tries in seven minutes swung the game Wigan’s way.

The impressive Gareth Hock finished off a surging attack before centres Darrell Goulding and George Carmont also got in on the act to hand them a 24-18 lead at the break.

And they turned the screw after the break with further tries by Pat Richards, Finch - adding to his side’s opener - and Tomkins.

In addition to his try, Richards kicked a perfect seven goals from as many attempts, which earned him an 18-point haul - propelling him to the brink of the 2,000-points mark for the club.

The 12,608 crowd witnessed a free-flowing and largely entertaining game - even if Wane will have questions about their defence, which has now leaked 67 points in two matches.

Paul Prescott made his first appearance of the year following off-season back surgery – replacing the injured Lee Mossop – and George Carmont came back from a five-week lay-off with a broken thumb.

Michael Witt muscled beyond Carmont in the fifth minute for a try he converted himself.

Wigan steadily improved, and when Craig Gower kicked out on the full they took the chance to level. Finch received the ball 20m out and ghosted beyond Antonio Kaufusi to score.

London countered spectacularly with a try by winger Michael Robertson and extended their lead with a third touchdown as centre Dan Sarginson showed great footwork to step between Josh Charnley and Hock.

If Hock was at fault for that try, he redeemed himself two minutes later. Roared on by the home supporters, Wigan punched their way into a solid attacking position, allowing Hock to plunge over with Witt on his back.

That try sparked a stunning resurgence in which Wigan carved London open with phenomenal pace and ruthlessness to bag two further touchdowns in quick succession from Goulding and Carmont.

The interruption of the half-time break did little to disrupt Wigan’s free-scoring form, as Richards coolly collected Hock’s neat offload to canter over unopposed.

Wane had said in the build-up that any side featuring halfbacks Gower and Witt could not be written off. And those two combined for a try which broke the home side’s momentum, Gower cutting through the line to send ex-Warrior Chris Melling clear. Witt’s conversion pegged the score to 30-24.

Fears of another shock comeback were short-lived, however, as Hock’s thunderous charge laid the foundation for Finch to grab his second of the afternoon – and Wigan’s sixth - with a determined mid-field attack.

O’Loughlin’s unforgiving hit on his old team-mate Melling took the sting out of yet another London fight-back. And when Wigan won a penalty inside their own 20m, Tomkins took his cue to extend their advantage by sprinting through the line unopposed.

Witt stemmed the flow with an interception try he converted in the 72nd minute, ensuring London had the final say.