Cigarette warning after kitchen gutted by fire

Residents are being warned to ensure cigarettes are properly put out after a kitchen was gutted by a blaze.

Tuesday, 5th July 2016, 8:59 am
Updated Tuesday, 5th July 2016, 10:02 am
Fire service

Fire crews were called to a flat on Elmfield Avenue in Atherton at around 6.45am on Tuesday and found the kitchen well alight.

Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus put out the flames but the kitchen was totally destroyed and there was also smoke damage in the living room.

The woman living in the Wigan and Leigh Homes (WALH) property managed to get out of the flat and was unhurt.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Fire engines from Atherton, Leigh and Hindley attended the fire and were at the scene for around an hour and a half.

The crews think the fire started in a bin where cigarettes had been thrown away and are now urging residents to make sure smoking material is discarded properly.

Watch manager Lewis Cross from Atherton fire station said: “The fire started in the bin but luckily she had all the doors in the flat shut so it didn’t spread.

“If you are going to smoke then either do so outside or make sure cigarettes are completely extinguished and then left for a period of time before the ashtray is emptied into the bin.”

Crews used a large fan to draw all the smoke out of the flat once the fire was out. WALH have been informed of the incident and the woman has gone to a friend’s house.

Mr Cross also reminded residents that if they are unsure whether their smoke alarm is working or not they can arrange for a home safety visit by ringing the fire service on 0800 555 815.