Doorstep acid attack leaves Wigan man scarred for life

A Wigan man has been left scarred for life by an horrific acid attack at his new home.

Thursday, 19th April 2018, 9:30 am
Updated Thursday, 19th April 2018, 12:11 pm
Police probe

The victim, believed to be in his 40s, had only recently moved from Platt Bridge to the Chorley suburb of Coppull near Standish, when he was sprayed with what police described as a corrosive substance.

He is now said to be in a serious but stable condition in hospital having suffered burns to his face, chest, back and arm. A woman, who was also at the address, was treated for minor injuries.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Police launched a major inquiry after the attack at 10.30pm on Tuesday, April 10.

Two offenders knocked on the front door of the home in Mavis Drive, then smashed a glass panel in it to coat the man with the substance before he had a chance to open it.

The victim was given first aid by firefighters who were tasked with making the scene safe.

Crime scene investigators and firefighters remained at the house for most of Wednesday as they tried to establish the exact nature of the liquid used.

Witnesses to the incident or anyone else with information about it are being urged to contact officers.

Det Sgt Jerry Sturgess of Chorley CID, said: “We are appealing for information following what is a serious attack on a home in Coppull. The man is still recovering in hospital as a result of his injuries and we need to establish who is responsible.

“We believe this is an isolated incident potentially involving two offenders. I would urge anyone with any information at all to come forward, particularly anyone who saw anything suspicious in the Mavis Drive area in the time leading up to the incident.”

Anyone with information about the incident or the offenders can contact police on 101 quoting log reference 1463 of April 10 2018. Alternatively, they can contact Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111 or online at

Officers have reassured the public by stepping up patrols and stress they believe it is a “one-off incident.”