Inquest opens into dad's death outside Wigan Parish Church

An inquest has been opened into the death of a dad found seriously injured outside Wigan Parish Church.

Friday, 4th September 2020, 10:56 am
Updated Friday, 4th September 2020, 10:58 am

Emergency services battled to save the life of Steven McMyler, pictured right, but he was pronounced dead in the church gardens on Thursday, August 6.

An inquest into the 34-year-old’s death has now been opened at Bolton Coroners’ Court.

It heard that Mr McMyler’s medical cause of death was head injuries.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Steven McMyler

Coroner Timothy Brennand adjourned the inquest to a future date yet to be set, pending the outcome of the criminal investigation.

A murder probe was launched after Mr McMyler’s death and police appealed to the public for information about what happened.

Their inquiries suggested he had been kicked in the head during an attack outside the church on Bishopsgate, in Wigan town centre, shortly before 7.50pm.

Since then 19-year-old Jordan Short from Rushey Hey Road, Kirkby, plus two juveniles aged 13 and 17 who cannot be identified for legal reasons, have been charged with the Marsh Green dad’s murder.

They are due to appear before a Manchester Minshull Street Crown Court judge on Friday, October 30 and a provisional date of Monday, February 1 has been set for their trial.

Mr McMyler’s death came as a huge shock, with his loved ones creating a large shrine of balloons, flowers, photographs and other tributes in the church garden to pay their respects.

More than £11,000 has been given to an online appeal to pay for “the best send-off” and donations continue to be made.

In a statement released via the police after his death, Mr McMyler’s family said: “Steven was an extremely likeable lad and everyone who came across him loved him as much as we all did. He was a popular lad and he lit the room up as soon as he walked in.

“Everybody thought the world of him, as he had a heart of gold.

“We can’t believe what has happened and we are struggling to come to terms with this terrible tragedy.”

Mr McMyler was due to fly to Tenerife the following morning for a holiday with his partner Alex Hughes.

In a moving Facebook post, she said: “Thank you for the last 12 months of my life. I know recently we had our ups and downs, but my god we had some laughs. My best mate, and I’m sorry that this has happened, you’ll always have a special place in my heart. And I promise to always be there for your family and friends, and little girls.”